Chapter 9 | Dark Pasts

Chapter 9: Dark Pasts

She could hear her sister laughing as she played with Holiday, the puppy, under the light drizzle of sprinkles. Her dad was lounging outside on the lawn, where white daisies dotted the green stretch of grass. Her mum came out in her favorite peach-colored sundress, a tray of fresh lemonade in her hands. They were like strangers to her now – even their personalities had changed. Her parents were no longer looking tensed and stressed out from work, and even her sister did not seem as obnoxious, annoying or bratty. It was the picture of a perfect family and they were happy, carefree. They’d forgotten someone though.

“Mum? Dad? Stella?” She stepped forward hesitantly from where she had been watching under the shade of a maple tree. Three pairs of eyes swiveled around to look curiously at her. “Um, hi guys,” she tried.

Three blank faces stared back at her. Then, her sister finally spoke. “Who are you?”

“I'm your sister, Jade. Don’t you remember me, Stell?”

She was met with a frown. “What are you talking about? I don’t have a sister. I’m an only child, and my name is not Stella. I’m Bethany. Bethany Green. You must have gotten the wrong person. I don’t know you.”

Her head spun with those words. No, it was not perfect anymore. The soft colors of the countryside around her were suddenly too bright, too vivid. This was not real. It could not be real. Her own family did not recognize her anymore. Not real. Not true. Impossible. Yet her sister’s words replayed themselves over and over again, echoing emptily in her head.

Who are you?

What are you talking about?

I don’t have a sister…

You must have gotten the wrong person…

I don’t know you…

…don’t know you…

…don’t know…

Jade woke up with a start, her heart pounding rapidly in her chest. As her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she slowly registered her unfamiliar surroundings – the high ceiling that sometimes gave her a sense of vertigo, sleek modern furniture, an elegantly curved sculpture in the corner and billowing curtains that led out onto the open balcony. This was her new room, she remembered; the one Ash and Kara had gotten her settled into. Now, it was illuminated in soft grey shades, moonlight streaming in from outside.

The night air was cool and fresh, but then, the air in Aviasce always felt that way – the avia did a far better job at sustainable development than humans. Jade slipped out of bed and wandered across her room, marveling at how the night cast shadows across the room, seeming to transform it into an entirely different world altogether. Her gaze travelled to the veil-like white curtains, waving like silent sails. She stopped in her tracks. There was someone perched on her balcony – right at the edge of it. It was Lance.

“Hello.” Jade greeted him shyly as she padded up to him, being careful to stay as far away from the edges as possible.

Lance glanced up, meeting her gaze with a soft smile. His eyes were a pale silver in the moonlight. “Hello yourself, arrèdulenn. What are you doing up this late?”

“I had a bad dream,” she said simply. She was relieved when Lance did not press her on for details – the dream was not something she wanted to recall.

“Do sit, síerrí.” Lance patted the spot next to where he sat, legs dangling off the balcony.

Jade hesitated. “It’s just…so high up,” she stated, peering cautiously over the edge. It was so high she only saw pale fog – or were they clouds? A little voice in her head reminded her she hadn’t kept to her vow not to ever step foot on an Aviascean balcony ever again. She gulped.