Chapter Seven - The Obsidian Witch

[Add the book to your library to get a notification for when each NEW chapter is uploaded, and don't forget to vote! Also don't forget to read my Author's note at the end where I comment on Hart's physical appearance.

   Riley was annoyed. Fists ready at his side, he scurried towards the cave entrance just as Daniel and Hart punched each other. Daniel pushed Hart off the cliff. Once Daniel and the others had recharged their powers, they were able to fight back. Except fighting the son of hell wasn't like defending yourself against a horde of monsters.

"WILL YOU TWO STOP IT?" Riley yelled at the top of his lungs, pushing Daniel with all his strength. "STOP IT! I AM TIRED OF THIS!"

"I didn't do anything, it was him!" Daniel pointed at the hovering prince, who had his wings spread open like a dark angel.

"You've both been at this for weeks, WEEKS!" Riley marched down the tight path that ran down the side of the mountain. He no longer wanted to be in the same space as them. Ever since Daniel and the other rogues recharged and had the humans move to a new location, he and Hart had been up Riley's ass.

"Why do I have to fight for my already boyfriend?" Daniel snapped back, following him. "We've been together longer than he has been alive on Earth and now all of the sudden we don't matter?!"

Riley spun around and punched him square in the jaw, throwing him off balance. Daniel slipped off the very tiny trail and fell down the mountain. Daniel grabbed rocks on the way down to gain balance again and hopped the rest of the way down using his rogue strength. Riley knew he wasn't going to get hurt, but it still felt good to shut one of them up.

He reached behind and grabbed the branch out of his backpack, launching himself into the sky. They were going to be mad at him, but they also didn't control him. So he climbed the wooden stick and flew at fast speeds.

It wasn't fair, he knew it was complete bullshit that he had to be treated like some price to be won. For WEEKS, they had stood outside his cave to make sure the other wasn't alone with him. He respected Hart for not ripping Daniel's head off with his eyes. But still, when did this become high school? Riley did not go through literal hell for this to be happening to him.

Even though Hart was the prince of hell with unimaginable power, he still didn't understand the simple emotions of a human being. It didn't matter that he was now open to having them like everyone else. If Riley was being honest to himself, Hart had the emotional capability of a child. If he wanted something, he was going to get it no matter what the cost was, because he did not understand what it all really meant to be human and to feel human. Not everything was his, and just because he was who he was did not mean he could take whatever he wanted.

And Daniel was another mess who did not understand that it had been thirty years since Riley had seen Hart and sometimes he went through some of them without thinking about him once. Those years were peaceful because nothing bad had happened, but any time a demon showed up or someone died in a familiar way or someone mentioned a witch or the witch, he remembered him. But beyond that? Hart left him in hell. It had been over for a very long time.

Riley didn't get very far when all of the sudden the branch stopped working and he fell from the sky. He tried everything he could possibly think of to bring magic back into the branch but none of it worked.

"HARTHEON!" Riley screamed, his voice coming out demonic as the feeling of falling overwhelmed him.

A strong whooshing sound came. Hart's wings were wide and powerful as he swept Riley back up into the air in quick movements. They looked at each other and for the first time in a long time, Riley remembered how much his eyes had affected him back on earth. He had always felt captivated by them. The feeling of being in a trance was always there when staring into his eyes, regardless of the color.