Chapter Four - To Love A Monster

[Add the book to your library to get a notification for when each NEW chapter is uploaded, and don't forget to vote!]

   Riley had never looked so peaceful. Hart was quietly sitting on the bed, looking down at the couch in front of him where Riley was curled up like an infant. When they were both above on earth, Riley never seemed to get a break. He was always under some stressful situation he couldn't run from. And of course, it was all his fault. 

Now without Hart, Riley could sleep and dream of beautiful things. He didn't need to worry anymore. 

Before falling asleep, Riley hadn't even bothered to check in on Hart or to even make sure that he wasn't going to kill him in his sleep – not that he would ever. But the kid didn't trust him anymore, so Hart wondered what Riley thought about him now. It had to mean something if he just fell asleep while the prince of hell sat on his bed, in his cave, in the middle of nowhere. The old Riley had to be in there somewhere. 

Hart didn't look away for a single moment. Much time had passed before Riley began to twist and turn, eventually waking up again. Riley opened his eyes. He was on his side, face half buried in brown, furry cushions. Hart's heart beat faster as he saw his red eyes. They looked good on him. 

As Riley sat up and looked at him with a sleepy look, his wings shivered behind him. Hart found it embarrassing that his wings had basically blushed at the sight of red eyes watching him. 

“It's rude to watch someone sleep,” Riley said, his tone dead serious. 

“I'm sorry.” 

“I'm joking,” he replied, chuckling quietly. “We're in hell, no one cares if you're rude.” 

“You said you don't trust me, so why did you sleep?” Hart asked, standing up. 

“I was tired?” Riley raised an eyebrow as he rose up to his feet. 

“You don't sleep in front of people you don't trust. There's a reason you don't trust them.” 

“Hart, please calm down. When I said I didn't trust you, I didn't mean that I think you'll try to kill me in my sleep or kidnap me and take me to Siren. It just means I can't have you knowing things you're not supposed to.” 

“Why would I take you to Siren?” 

“She wants me and all of the Rogues dead. If there's one person you shouldn't trust, it would be her.” 

“She said she couldn't track you or any of the others. Why?” 

“No idea, honestly. We're aware she can't use her stupid ball to know where we are, which we are grateful for. But truthfully? We have no clue why we don't show up on it.” Riley walked past Hart and grabbed a jug that was sitting on an empty dinner table. He took the jug to his lips and drank what seemed to be water. He swallowed the entire thing and wiped his lips with the back of his hand. “I'm surprised I don't show up on it. I'm not special. I'm not a human or a Rogue. I'm just a regular ole' demon.” 

“I think you're special,” Hart told him. 

“Okay, whatever you say.” Riley placed the jug back on the table and moved towards the front of the cave. 

“Where are you going?” Hart asked him as the boy grabbed his branch. 

“I'm going for a swim. You can join if you want,” Riley replied, grinning as he ran outside.