CHAPTER TWO - BLOOD BROTHER ARENA (Part 2)

(Part Two)

Back downstairs and sneaking into the vampire arena, I sat at the back watching the other contestants on the floating screen.

Beings fled from terrifying creatures, witches’ and wizards’ magic backfired, and Lycan’s threw others into traps in order to make their escape.

Many of the contestants flew past the screens and were forgotten just seconds after they met their unsightly deaths, but there were four prisoners that stood out for their speed, will and ability to use their surroundings resourcefully. I could see they were not like the others.

The witch and the wizard, who seemed to be husband and wife, battled with fury. They defeated one of the harpies, leaving its ripped body in spasm on the muddy ground, using their powers to shield themselves from the rest of the advancing, vengeful gang.

Working with the couple, Ardan appeared to have developed a link with the pair. The three of them worked together, combating the deadly hunters. The Lycan was not part of the invincible group.

His eyes were ferocious and his nature erratic; he entertained the audience with his forceful approach to getting through the zone alive. He was eliminating anyone (and anything) he found in his way, without a second thought.

Constantly on the tale of the odd trio, he ripped apart fellow prisoners, tore through the swamps and made the harpies realise that he was not going to hide from their deadly taunts. Elevating himself like a cat, he bounced from tree to tree, to launch himself into the sky and attack the unsuspecting mutants, bringing them to a gory demise and, using their bodies as snacks, he built up his energy to continue through the rough terrain.

The mutants’ screams filled the blood soaked air as the contestants ran in the opposite direction to the shrieks, hoping to avoid their termination.

They soon ran past the rocky verge and into another hunter. She jumped down from the tree and straight on top of Ardan.

I gasped as she wrapped her legs round his neck and held the witch down with his right hand, making her husband think twice about his idea to attack. ‘What do you want?’ the wizard shouted as she continued to twist her legs tighter around Ardan’s neck.

Her eyes were ferocious. ‘I want my freedom!’ she shrieked; the wizard put his arms out to show they meant no harm, when he realised she was a vampire. ‘We’re not hunters. We’re prisoners, and we’re trying to get out of here too. Come with us and we’ll work together,’ the wizard replied. The thoughtful attacker fought with her predatory instincts to trust him.

She looked down at the pale Ardan and remarked, ‘Do you think I’m going to believe a wizard, witch and vampire are working together?’ She laughed with scepticism as Ardan used his remaining breath to nod. She slowly unwrapped her legs, leaving him panting for air. She jumped back into the tree and continued her interrogation from a safe height. ‘It’s a game with a fatal ending, so what are the chances that one of you gets in a sticky situation and then uses the others as bait to free yourself?’ she asked.

<CLICK ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE WHILST READING THIS CHAPTER TO ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE>

Ardan jumped up and joined her on the branch. He extended a hand to her cautiously. ‘We’ve got this far without turning on each other and I intend to go all the way without going back on my promise to them. Come with us, please…’ he begged. The jealously bolted through my body like an electrical charge.

The pretty vampire obliged and jumped down from the tree. ‘Right, no matter what, we have to stay in pairs. It will be me and Heather, and you will go with Ardan if we need to split up for any reason, okay?’ the wizard said to the vigilant vampire.