Chapter I: Flashbacks in Slumbers (pt.1)

Journals, Chronicles, Stories, most of us just want to go in and do something, at least to do the right thing and fix everything. But not all stories can be change and not all of them end well. Still don’t know how to end it but I guess this is where I should start.

Chapter I: Flashbacks in Slumbers

     Rain falls, wind flows, and thunder crawls. Even with the outrageous storm, the train won’t stop until it reaches its destination. Even with such calamities… the train is expected to return safe and I trusted it… because it has done it a lot of times. I know… I’ve dreamt of riding it with my family… the Channel Tunnel. It is the longest undersea tunnel that connects the United Kingdom and France. I’m kind of a curious cat… wants to know the things that we need to go. So when outside… it’s completely noisy since the storm makes all the noises but when inside… it’s like there wasn’t even a storm happening.

     Traffic jams, red lights, sunless sky, this was expected on our way to France. A lot of people seem to honk their horns even in the bad weather but our taxi driver doesn’t show to be impatient and just waits until the others starts moving forward. I was seated at the back seat as my sister seated at the right side beside me. I can smell the cheese-puffed cornmeal snack that she was eating… or at least I think I smell… Cheetos snack. It was her favorite and I see her feeding her pug with that Cheetos too.

     Mom and dad were sitting at the middle seats talking with someone on the front seat I don’t know who but it looks like a woman and is handing something that I can’t see. It’s like my vision is still a blur and even I can’t see their faces. I don’t know why but I see them shaking hands… it’s like they were making a deal. As they kept on shaking hands, the smell of Cheetos started to get stronger as if it was an unordinary kind smell of Cheetos… I also like Cheetos but it’s somehow getting stronger in a bad way and the urge to get out of the car is strongly demanded. I do not know why are the others can’t smell it or get annoyed by it. I started to smell dog saliva. The lights go green and the car started moving. We were half way of the crossroads until a car bumped to us and a bright light from the headlights shines in my eyes. I opened my eyes and saw that Jade’s Pug was staring at my face while his mouth is under my chin as cheesy Cheetos was in his mouth. I quickly stood up from the inclined chair and it was only with Jade and my mom in the cab… and the dog.

     “Ah, Spawn.” Mom said. “You’re awake.”

     “And please wipe that blubber off your face.” Jade said.

     “Eww!” I started wiping it off. “Why didn’t you remove him in the first place?”

     “Oh please… he does everything that she wants.” She grinned and her dog went to her lap. “Isn’t that right, Allan? Yes… who’s the good dog? That’s right… you are…”

     “Spawn, you’re sweating.” Mom said. “Did you have those again?”

     “Yes, I’m just going to take my pills. I’ll be alright.”

     This… is my life now. I lost dad, I left my home, and I abandoned my friends. Why did I even have to go away? Losing dad is already enough to make me depressed. I guess that’s how life works, you live… you work… you die… trying to hide the burden that I carry. There’s nothing much to do now but to wait until we reach our new home in New Jersey. Sure hope that the truck behind us will not get lost and our things will still be secure.

     “Uggh…” Jade sad “It’s like we’ve been traveling for hours or maybe days!”

     “Why?” I said “Can’t take the pressure?”

     “No… it’s just that I really need to pee. If a single ramp just happens to surprise us… it’s the worst flood that I will ever had. And we wouldn’t want it to happen, do we?”

     “Now that you mentioned it… I think it is a wonderful idea! Just think of awesome things… like water… rivers… desirable impacts of waves… and so man-” *Oww*

     She punched me at my arm. “No! Mom! Are we there yet?!”

     “Now that you mentioned it, we are here.”

     Seems like a nice neighborhood. Different kinds of houses with different colors of paint in their walls and roofs aligned on every side of the street. Some of them have garage, some of them have a backyard, some pools, and some other sorts that you can put in your backyard. It’s kind of a quiet environment from the things that surrounds you… trees waving, sun shining, people walking, Allan barking at the whole neighborhood like a crazy happy pug (The fact that he is), and Jade’s urge to go to the restroom and is trying her best not to in the cab. Too bad we reached the place that we will be living from now on.

     “We’re here.” Mom said. “And we still have to go through some ramps.”

     Jade’s skin turned pale as she heard *ramps* turns out that mom was just messing with Jade. “MOM!”

     Like the paints from the other houses… it has white wooden walls and a red roof. It’s a two story house with a backyard of nothing but grass. White pointed fences painted black and glass windows that shows inside the house. Jade is rushing to go out the door as soon as she opened it but she was stuck in her seat belt.