Chapter Six

She spent hours in that room, hooked up to a pole. She refused to call for anyone and no one bothered to come in for her. Her new boss must have known she was still stuck in there, or at least one of his body guards.

And Lucas. She was going to kill that son of a bitch the second she got out of that room.

"Dana?"

Dana almost passed from relief out when she heard Marissa's voice.

"I'm in here!" she called as loud as she was able to.

She heard Marissa's heels pound down the hall.

"God damn, girl, what the hell happened to you?" she yelled as she ran.

She heard Marissa reach the door. A few seconds passed and she cursed under her breath.

"Fuck, it's locked," she mumbled.

Dana was about to respond when she heard another voice, one that was all too familiar, telling Marissa to move back.

A breath later, the door swung open, nearly flying off its hinges. Max's hulking silhouette barely fit inside the small doorframe.

He paused for a minute, staring at Dana. Then, suddenly, he moved forward in an inhumanely fast pace. Dana, startled by his abruptness, shrunk back against the pole behind her.

"What are you doing?" she breathed as he came to a stop an inch away from her.

He reached behind her, his large hand skimming her thin wrist before grabbing onto the handcuffs that kept her chained to the pole.

"Who did this to you?" he asked, rage and worry in his eyes. She stared at him, forgetting how to answer. He was beautiful in his rage, disturbingly perfect. He tugged gently on her cuffs, "Who?" he asked again.

"...There's a new boss," she whispered.

Max's furry stilled. "What do you mean?"

Dana shook her head, too taken by his rage to respond. For the first time that night, she was glad she was handcuffed. She wasn't sure what she'd do if her hands weren't tied.

"Don't tempt me," Max growled knowingly. "Who is the man that did this to you?"

"His name's Nick," Marissa answered from the doorway. "He came in this morning. No one knew Charles was even going to quit. Stan was being-."

"That's enough," Max said quietly, keeping his eyes on Dana.

She had begun to feel lightheaded.

"How did you find me?" she whispered.

He didn't answer. Silence engulfed the small room.

"I'll... go look for a key," Marissa said, exiting the room and leaving the two of them alone.

Dana rested her head back on the pole, tiredness catching up with her. With Max there now, she could relax.

"Break the cuffs," Dana whispered, barely conscious of what she was saying. Max stared at her doubtfully. "I know you can, just do it."

She distantly heard a snapping sound and her hands fell to her sides. Dana collapsed against Max, the blood rushing back to her pale hands.

Max was stiff for a moment before he eased against her, holding her around her waist and burying his face into her neck.

"I'm going to kill him," Max murmured into her hair. "I swear to god, I will."

His breath was warm against her skin and she relaxed, allowing him to support her completely.

The last thing she saw before falling asleep was the broken cuff around her sore wrist.

So, I've noticed you all seem to have a preference for Max. As this VERY SHORT (I'm sorry!) chapter indicated, Dana does too. I wanted to post something for you all, and make it a moment between them. They'll have plenty coming up. I have exams throughout the month so I'll be trying to update, but I'm not sure how many times I'll be able to before summer, so please be patient with me : ) Anyway, the votes weren't as high as usual last chapter and I'm suspecting it's because of the lack of Max. But let me know what else you guys want to see in this story or characters you like/don't like.

So, to take a more accurate pole: Lucas or Max?

Thanks to all you lovely people who continuously support me. I write this for you guys : )