Chapter Eleven

Dana's POV

By the time Dana made it to the club, Marissa had already texted her that she had Nick occupied. She passed the practice studio, spotting Marissa choosing a song while the man who must have been Nick waited behind her. Dana turned and ran toward Nick's office, taking a bobby pin out of her hair and making quick work of the lock before opening his office door. It had been almost too easy.

She moved eagerly toward his desk, but felt a deep sense of disappointment as she noticed that his drawers were secured with locks that required his fingerprint to open them. Clearly the man was paranoid. Or he had a lot of things to hide. Either way, Dana had no chance of finding Lucas' information now.

She froze as she heard the sound of Nick's office door click shut.

"I heard you were looking for me," Lucas drawled from behind her. She heard him step closer to her. "You are a very naughty girl."

Dana's blood felt like ice in her veins. "This was all a set up?" she asked, although she already knew the answer.

"I prefer to call it seizing the day." Dana turned towards him slowly. He looked larger than she remembered, his body effectively blocked the doorway. He was just as handsome as she recalled too, unfortunately.

"You have a bad habit of cornering me," she said, giving a pointed glance at the closed door behind him. Her voice had remained impassive, but she was sure that her fear was displayed on her face.

Lucas stared at her for a moment, seeming to hesitate. "I do apologize for that." He took a careful step toward her, his eyes assessing her as he moved. She forced herself to stand still, refusing to let him know just how nervous he was capable of making her. "I'm typically very in control of my instincts." He took the next step, like a wolf sneaking up on his prey. "You can trust me, love."

Dana laughed humorlessly. "You've given me no reason to trust you." He was close to her now. So close that she could smell him. He was wearing cologne and she could feel the intended effects of its pheromones combined with his slow, confident movements toward her. She felt nearly intoxicated as he examined her too, his striking green eyes lingered on her lips.

"Don't you dare kiss me," she said, her voice shaking now. She was afraid, certainly, but she noticed another worry too: that if he kissed her, she wasn't sure how she would respond. His eyes met hers and she could tell that he was somehow able to sense that thought. The calculated casualness he usually held in his gaze was undermined by something far more primal and deep, something which let her know just how good he was at reading other people's fears. She felt then that nothing was private anymore, worst of all the fact that his electrifying eyes utterly captivated her attention and made her want to peer deeply enough into them so that she may become familiar with some of the secrets they held.

"I'm not myself around you," he told her as soon as the same thought occurred to her. He reached his hand toward her face and she grasped it before he could touch her. His gaze moved to his hand with an expression of mild surprise, as if it had moved on its own accord. His expression shifted again, her contact startling him out of a trance-like state.

"If you touch me, I'll scream," she warned.

He gave her a very private smile, his expression had reverted to one void of sincerity. "Well, that's the idea, love."

She shoved his hand away from her body with all her force, but it barely budged. Slowly and on his own accord, Lucas lowered his arm back to his side, staring her down as he did. "You are not allowed, under any circumstances, to come to my apartment again," Dana told him with all the authority she could muster.