Chapter Two: Bringer of Light

He came again the next night, this time sitting very close to the stage.

Dana was glad that she shared the stage with Marissa on Thursdays; she didn't want to face him alone.

She had tucked the money he gave her in her bra, preparing to give it back to him the next time she saw him. However, as she felt his gaze on her that night, she found herself suddenly doubting her ability to be able to face him again.

When her dance ended, she forced her muscles into action and walked over to the man with a stride that was deceptively confident. She stared right at him, again struck by the intensity of his eyes and an instinct to both approach him and turn from him.

She stopped a few feet away from his seat, not allowing herself to get any closer.

For a minute, they just stared at each other, no words able to communicate what they both knew their bodies could. Before the show, Dana had mentally walked herself through the conversation she planned to strike up. But now, words seemed almost futile.

Slowly, he raised his hand and, much like he had the previous night, motioned for her to come closer, his eyes holding that fiery passion that enticed her as much as it frightened her.

Immediately, her body began to deceive her and she felt herself take a step forward.

"No," she whispered, forcing herself to halt and casting her gaze away from him. "I came here to give this back," she quickly grabbed the wad of hundreds from her bra and held it out to him. 

He made no move to take it from her. Slowly, she looked back at him, startled by the new expression that emerged on his handsome face--an expression of wonder.

Her heart rate quickened out of fear and excitement as she realized something. This man--this mysterious, beautiful man--found her as interesting as she was finding him to be.

She shook her head, snapping herself out of it. She refused to be rendered speechless by him, no matter how attractive me was. 

Although, she did note that he seemed speechless as well.

She sighed and her hand curled into a fist around the wad of cash as she lowered her arm. "Listen, I truly appreciate your generosity." 

"But?" He prompted. 

"But I am not the type of person that can just accept this level of generosity from a stranger." 

"If I introduce myself, will you accept the gesture?" he asked, speaking the most she had heard yet. His voice had a pleasant timbre to it that she felt all the way down to her feet. 

"I don't know what you want. But whatever it is, you're not getting it from me."

For a minute, he just stared at her with an unreadable expression. Then, slowly, his lips curled into a seductive smile. He didn't even try to respond. His eyes said all the information she needed.

That she was wrong.

Overwhelmed by that confusing mixture of frustration and need, she stomped away angrily, heading towards the bar.

The bartender, Stan, smiled when she approached.

"Bam-bi!" he called to her.

Despite her current mood, she grinned back lazily. "Get me something very alcoholic," she commanded.

He chuckled, brown eyes sparkling. "No can do. You got so drunk last time, you started hitting on the truckers." He motioned to the corner section of the club where the usual group of repulsive, vulgar men sat. Dana grimaced outwardly. "Don't worry, girly, I saved your trashed ass."