The Familiar Strangers

I watched as they walked into the already cramped area of my hospital room. They both turned and looked at me giving me small sad smiles.

My mouth still hung open I couldn't believe they had come my body shivered with old fear.

My grandparents sat down in the chairs that had been placed by my bed side. " I will give you guys some time to talk." Peggy said leaving the room with me and my grandparents.

"Hi dear." My grandmother said transporting me back to the only memory I had of her.

"Martin what are you doing here and with that girl." My mothers mother says.

"Linda she is your granddaughter too. You haven't seen her in years, since she was born at that. I know seeing her reminds you of Christina but she needs to know the other part of her family." My Dad says holding my small three year old hand.

"Fine I will take care of her for you today while you run your errands but that is it, after that I never want to she her again." My grandma said glared down at me taking my hand from my dads.

"OK." my Dad said in defeat.

"NO Daddy don't go!" I wailed turning my tiny face into his chest, my dad hugged me and my grandma picked me up. I cried as my dad walked away out the door.

My grandma set me down and shifted down to my size. "Look I don't like you, never have and never will, you remind me of your mommy and that makes me really sad, ok." I nodded my small head. "Ok you can go play in that room and I will make you some lunch"

I wondered into the room finding my grandfather, I tried talking to him but my grandmother lost it and came to take me to her bedroom, the beating came after.My mind shifted from the memory back to my hospital room, where my grandparents still sat in front of me.

"Valeria did you hear what your grandmother said to you?" My grandfather asked, I nodded.

"Hi." I said my voice still cracking probably a little more then usual because of my nervousness. "How have you been?"

"We've been good, but I am not sure I could say the same about you." My grandmother answered. I nodded and a silence came over us.

We stared at each other wondering what to do next. "Well we are having your papers filled out and then when your better and able to go, we'll be taking you home with us, ok." My grandmother said finally.

I gasped. "I'm going home with you?" They nod and My jaw drops, unsure of what else to do. I folded my hands in my lap uncomfortable and stared at my feet.

"What if I don't want to go with you." I say defiantly.

"You have no where else to go." My grandfather says. "Unless you want to go to the orphanage."

"We are your only living relatives." Grandmother adds.

"Oh.." I answer lamely.

"Well we better go."I nodded and hugged my grandmother back awkwardly as she gave me a pat on the back.

When they had finally left another sigh escaped my mouth this time expected. My head ached, my past was supposed to stay in my past, but instead it seemed to keep surfacing. I was so exhausted I passed out...again.

                                                    ************

I woke up in the dead of the night sweat cover my body in hot drops, my breath came in short, quick gasps and  pain radiated in my side. The nightmare had been a new one but it was fresh in my mind.