Chapter 12

It was late. The sky had begun to fall to darkness. The light smothered slowly.

Thorin had left, in the sheer dark he left. Towards the Prancing Pony once again. I was held back as Bain grabbed my arm and pulled me towards his home. Thorin glanced back slightly, but did not take much notice. His feet kept treading on the path through the cityscape.

I faintly gasped as he dragged me in the dark, and past his house.

Thorin must surely have known it was him, unless I was just that much of a burden to him. Although I'd settled and came along with him here to this remarkable city, the value of my beating heart was nothing. Or so it felt that way.

"What in Durin's name!" I cried while attempting to free my arm from him.

His fingers gripped my arm tightly as I was forced to keep up among the monstrous steps of his long legs.

He would not answer my shrieking demands as I tried to free myself.

So he continued to drag me, swerving through the city, around stands and through allies on the sides. His dark hair blew in the wind as he marched through Bree.

It was far to dark to distinguish much, other than the tightly standing houses lining the streets, blocking the moonlight. The small stands on every side swung in the gentle wind.

Few people walked this night. It was much darker than usual.

He mumbled something I couldn't catch and we exited the city. My nerves became uneasy. He continued his grip.

I peered back at the city of Men, it few fainter and fainter through the caressing of the trees.

~

Minutes passed and we came upon a house. A cottage, really. Sweet and innocent, perhaps. Trees surrounded, their silhouettes bounced on the cottage and the garden around it. It was hard to see but, it had a path of stone and a bed of flowers surrounding. The door was deep green and a silver knob was directly in the middle. The windows on the sides were alit with a warm hue and shaped as circles.

We neared the cottage and Bain released me, apologizing under his breath.

"What are we doing here! I demand you to tell me!"

I threatened sternly as I began to draw my sword.

"I would not do that if I were you."

The door opened, revealing a tall, older looking man with a brown beard and hair that went just past his shoulders. His hair was covered by a goofy hat that sat atop his head. His eyes were hollow and deep green like the door. He wore a robe, sort of resembling that of a wizard. It was dark green, like the door, and like the walls I could see behind him.

"Bain!" He exclaimed.

"Beren." Bain dipped his head as he bowed.

Beren moved out of the way and gestured for us to proceed inside, he locked the door behind us.

The man lead us to his kitchen. It was at the start of the hall, off to the left, the walls were slightly short for someone with the height of a Man. The walls were filled with paintings. There was a chandelier on the ceiling filled with candles, nearly burned to the bottom. Wax dripped from them onto the rug over the wooden floors. The hall was the center of countless amounts of rooms. None of which I saw as we entered the kitchen.

"What brings you here?" Beren asked as he rushed spastically to get some water boiling. His hands shook as he reached up on the shelves near a window in the pantry.

Another chandelier hung from the ceiling with fresh candles. A wooden table sat in the middle of the room, surrounded by chairs. A fire was going on the stove, it was surrounded by rocks to contain it in it's pit, a pot hung above it. A window revealed the faint glow of the moon on the left side of the room, facing the same way as the door. The room was spacious and had a lot of extra room, not that it needed anything else to look complete.