Chapter 3

I descended from the mountain, stumbling multiple times before reaching the bottom. Stones rolled all upon the only faint way of descending. Down the mountain I stepped, constricted by the sharpness of the aches through me.

I reached an old town. Abandoned, in ruins.

It appeared to thrive as a town as it lived. Beautifully carved jewels lay on the grounds of the devastated city. The houses were covered in ash. As was the ground, my boots trailed soot behind me as they picked it up from the cold ground.

Something had happened while my mind was oblivious. And it was obvious; A Firedrake.

This city was in ruins, the mountain was devastated, and not to mention the live Dragon.

I passed through the ruined city fairly quickly, it made my stomach turn into knots. So I rushed through it as fast as the agony would allow me.

~

Hours passed and I walked cluelessly through a beautiful forest.

I'd never encountered it, yet somehow it put my mind at ease.

The trees spread wildly throughout. It was truly lovely.

My blank mind wandered as I walked, trying to take in what happened. A Dragon. I could have been gone with the rest of that city.

Why was I given another chance. I certainly didn't deserve it.

"Some who live deserve death. And some who die deserve life"

Truly, I did not deserve life.

~

More time passed. I knew nothing of where I was.

And the journey there was another blank slate. I walked, yet my mind ran.

I came upon a thick forest. It started sharply from out of nowhere. Just a straight line into a thick forest of an abundance of enormous trees.

I couldn't go around.

So I had to go through. I was hesitant but I stepped into it.

The forest was huge. Thick. And heavy.

~

I was unaware how long it had been. Illusions settled into my head and taunted me. I walked into a few trees. And tripped on a number of roots.

I looked back thinking I'd heard a noise, and looked back only to find my face impale a tree.

I brushed it off as I kept walking.

A shape appeared up ahead.

I didn't recognize it. It was the shape of a Dwarf.

A strong looking Dwarf. With long dark hair and battle-hardened eyes. He walked powerfully towards me.

He quickly disappeared as I shook my head.

Then.

Something jumped down from behind me. I barely heard it but the forest was silent enough.

I turned to see a she-Elf holding a dagger to my throat. She had long auburn hair tied in a braid. Her face was soft. But I didn't appreciate an Elf holding a weapon to my throat.

Another jumped down behind her. He had long golden hair and readied an arrow quickly pointing it at my head.

"Ah, the she-Dwarf again." The blonde Elf taunted.

"You. What are you doing here again!" The she-Elf demanded.

Me? Perhaps they were mistaken for I'd never come across this place.

"I believe you're mistaken. I've never encountered you or this forest!" I shot back, pushing her dagger down.

The blonde-haired Elf still had is bow ready. "Do not take us for fools, filth. What are you doing here again!"

"Truly, I know not of what you speak!"

"A Dragon attacked Erebor but two days before. What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be with the Dwarf Prince and his people venturing to the Blue Mountains?" The blonde one said again.

I could feel my body wanting to shed tears. My eyes watered but I did not let them fall.

"I do not know what you're talking of."

"Avalinn, bind her hands, her taking us for fools has gotten her a meeting with the King." The blonde gestured to my hands as he put his bow away.

So my hands were cuffed in a rope that burned and I was taken. They pulled me as their long legs sauntered without hesitation through the thick forest. My legs, however, would not let me go as fast, I tripped at nearly every step. They became impatient.

The illusions continued fiercely, invading my head with every new come. My lungs inhaled deeply but could not get the satisfaction of fresh air from this dark forest.. The trees were enormous and covered every little bit of the sun. It was excruciatingly hazy and dark. The path was faint, dim.

~

While had passed, we stood before a beautiful gate into a realm. The blonde Elf gave a nod to the guard. He quickly opened it and gestured for them to proceed inside. They pushed me forward, nearly forcing me onto the hard ground below my feet

.

I was lead through great halls of the kingdom. Trees of astounding height invaded spaces all around.

I stumbled as they nearly pushed me into a huge wooden door.

They knocked forcibly against the large barrier.

"Proceed." A cold voice returned.

The door opened and revealed a throne.

A swift hand took a place upon my back and pushed, causing my own feet to stumble upon the cold ground.

I was put in front of the King. Guards stood on both sides of the entrance. Their eyes plastered unto me as I stood before the King.

"Thranduil. An intruder has been found on our borders." Avalinn informed.

"We have seen her many times before. She was the scum that escaped here days ago! Yet she insists she knows nothing of Mirkwood." The blonde Elf added, pushing me again and stepping back.

"I assure you I know nothing!"

The king stood up from his throne, his long golden hair fell over his shoulders and onto his silver robe. He stepped down and walked towards me with his hands behind his back.

His saunter began around my perimeter as a predator upon it's prey. His long silk Elven hair rested on his broad shoulders and blew slightly as he walked.

"So, Dwarf. You claim to have the knowledge of a blank slate in the misty air." He started. "I, however, suspect you are lying through your mind."

He got inches from my face.

His voice was deep and took me a second to process.

That voice was the voice that sounded of another, another that made my heart warm.

But another that I could never remember.