Chapter 9

Thorin and I parted ways from the Dwarves, sneaking almost.

We headed back towards the Great East Road. The Dwarves had been lead a fair bit away from it.

The clouds closed in on the last bit of sunlight and the day became grey. We were forced to cut through a horde of forest to get back to the road. We dodged, swerved and cut around trees and any other obstacles that got in our way. The healthy, green trees cut out some of the light coming from the grey of the sky.

"So, what is this 'work' you're looking for?" I asked as we walked.

"Aiding in the forgery of weapons, perhaps." He explained. "You, however, I do not know."

"Me?" I stopped. Thorin came to a stop as well and turned to look back at me. "Merely because of my gender? Is this the issue of Bree!"

"We'll just have to find that out, my lady." He assured me as he began to walk again.

~

We reached the city of Bree later in the day. It was nearly nightfall.

I strode alongside Thorin into the city of Men. It was a city of plenty. Residences all along the sides and into the deep of the city. Small businesses appeared to thrive as many men entered and exited them. The beautiful stone path lead through the city's core, revealing shops, houses and markets on every side. Windows were lit up from the inside of the houses as the sun disappeared.

Thorin appeared to know where he was going for he headed straight for a little bar in the heart of the city; The Prancing Pony.

He pushed the door open, revealing a bar, numerous amounts of tables and a large amount of Men.

The opening of the door also revealed loud noise to go with the large amount of Men. Thorin did not take notice as he strode in and headed immediately for the bar.

He waited a second before looking back at me. His blue eyes glistened in the seedy light of the bar as his hair fell over his shoulders.

"Find a seat." He said, gesturing towards the tables all around.

I searched for one. Most were taken by the many Men.

I spotted one near the fireplace and immediately sat down.

It was an uncomfortable place. It could not have been an everyday occasion that Dwarves were seen in these parts. I was stared down by many.

The bar was overall hazy, perhaps from the pipes being smoked. There was many corners in which Men of a terrifying descent sat. They were truly nerve-racking folk.

The windows behind some of the tables at the walls showed little light as the sun made it's last stance of the day and darkness began to settle in.

The serving portion of the bar sat in the middle, with tables surrounding it, filled with Men.

The chandeliers consisted of candles creatively hung on a wooden-structured piece.

Thorin came over with two drinks and set them onto the table as he say in the chair opposite to me.

"We could be doing work, what in Middle-Earth's name are we doing here?" I questioned him, slightly confused.

"It's far too late to start any work this night, Madeira." He stated. "I spoke with an old acquaintance who works at the armory, we will be meeting him tomorrow at first light for work. We will have to stay with him tonight as well."

"And who is this acquaintance?" I inquired.

"Bain." He responded as he lifted the mug to his mouth.