Chapter 17

As his eyes focused onto mine with deep hopes, another surge coursed through my darkened veins and into my chest.

A cry exited my throat as I crippled over and into Bain's strong-held arms.

The stabs subsided once again and I looked upon Bain, his expression grim and his eyes filled with grief, disbelief and betrayal.

"Why did it not take effect!" Bain's voice loudened with frustration at the man.

I remained facing Bain, still within the hold of his arms, my head upon his chest.

It fell hard and came back fiercely with every labored breath.

I maneuvered my head so I was able to see the Bloodman.

His face was taken by the same expression as Bain's: Disbelief.

"It's not," he paused. "True." He lowered his head at the misfortune, for he knew one of us did not feel the same. One of us had a deep passion driven by love, the other did not.

I curled back into Bain's chest as his arms wrapped firmly around my back.

"That cannot be! My heart is upon her in every way of it's allowance! For it bears me where the stars dance in the night and the sun sways in the light of day." He snarled with passion.

"I don-"

Bain sharply cut in upon the man's words. "Love does not always have to be shown, it just has to be true!"

"But-"

Bain stopped the man's words short again. "What must I do!"

"An act of true love!" Beren explained. "On her part. It is her lips that have to kiss another, not your own, Bain. T'is a simple act of purity, love! "

"True love." I whispered under my cold breath as I looked upon Bain, his head came to face mine.

"Yes!" He exclaimed quietly, his nose placed atop mine as he bent down. "I wish to see the colour back in your smooth cheeks, the brightness of a thousand stars back into your eyes, the complexion back in your otherwise corpse-like skin, and the light of your heart given back, I long to see your life returned to you. This love will be our start. You must."

I slowly reached up to his gentle lips, but as I was, I thought of the love I now had. Or what it may be. I had not the courage to love truly as he did. But, his gentleness assured the thoughts.

But I still was not enchanted by him as I was another.

Not in any way was I to say I loved him as I truly did another. My heart's beats were for another, not him. My eyes were set upon one, but not him. My lips drawn to another's, but not his.

I pondered the thoughts more, ensuring that I was not delirious.

But, in fact, I was not.

I yearned for someone else.

I stopped abruptly before our lips touched, and lowered my head.

"I, cannot." I admitted with embarrassment. "I love you not as the way you do I."

His face flushed of colour. I had not felt such a grieving feeling in a long while. His face drained, not just of colours, but of hope, as if all was lost.

"I loved you as the fire burned bright, now it is merely coals." My eyes met his as I looked up. "I truly did."

"Hot, burning and unquenchable! Is that not what you mean, my love?" He scoured my eyes hoping to find a touch of love left behind them.