O

"We should go to the movies tonight," I suggest as I walk into Lottie's office

"We should go to the movies tonight," I suggest as I walk into Lottie's office. In my haste, I failed to see Nate sitting opposite my girlfriend, an amused smile on his face. Rubbing the back of my neck in embarrassment, I grimace. "Uh, hi, Nate."

"Isaac," Nate replies, nodding his head an inch. "I hate to break your heart but I've already got a hot date for tonight. You should ask Charlotte to go with you instead. I'm not sure if she's interested in you, though."

I roll my eyes at his sarcastic tone and point at the doorway behind me, indicating that I wanted him to leave. Knowing better than to take instructions from me while at work, Nate turns to Lottie and asks if it's ok that he goes. Lottie nods and promises him that they'll pick up from where they left off tomorrow. 'Spreadsheets,' she clarifies when I send her a quizzical look. 

When Nate leaves, I check the hallway outside Lottie's office before heading back inside and closing the door. I wait a few more seconds until I'm sure that no one will interrupt and then make my way over to Nate's vacated seat. All the while, Lottie watches me with worry. She must think that I've gone crazy with the way that I'm acting but I could not care less about what I appeared to look like; I had more things to worry about. 

"Ok, so here's the deal," I say, although, from the way my words rush out of my mouth, I'm not sure if what Lottie hears is exactly what I say. "Martha's going out on a date tonight and I thought-"

"You thought, 'Hey, I know what I can do with my girlfriend,'" Lottie speaks, her tone hopeful. "'I can take her to the cinema!'"

I shake my head. "No, what I was going to say is that Martha is going out on a date and I think we should supervise."

Ok, so I may have gone a little crazy. Ever since Martha had announced last week that there was a 'boy' in her life and that they may be more than 'just friends' I've been losing my mind. Of course, I know that this boy isn't the first one she's been out on a date with. She's had several boyfriends, actually. But this is the first one she's been dating while living a) on the same continent as me, and b) in the same country as me, and c) in my home. Before, I could simply ignore the fact that she was dating because if I never saw them or had to see Martha getting all dolled up for a date, I could easily pretend that all her boyfriends didn't exist.