Big News

Rayne sat on her bed, staring at the white stick in her hand, letting its result sink in. Part of her was excited it was positive and the other part was terrified. She didn't know if she was capable of being a good mother.

Remy leaned against the door frame with Bianca, his wife, standing behind him and asked, "Got some news there, Ray?"

Rayne sighed, "Yeah. It's positive."

Bianca asked, "Derek?"

"Who else would it be?"

---

Rayne hopped on the kitchen counter where Derek was doing dishes and he gave her a slight glare.

"I do have chairs, you know."

"I'm aware, but I like sitting on counters."

Derek rolled his eyes and asked, "So what brings you here?"

"Can't I visit?"

Derek looked her up and down and replied, "Something's off about you.I just don't know what that is yet."

"Hmm.I guess I could just tell you."

Derek rinsed off his last dish, drying off his hands and moved to stand in front of her, an arm on each side, trapping her there. He stared into her eyes and said, "I'd appreciate that. It would save me the time trying to figure it out."

"Well it's big news, so brace yourself."

"I think I can take it."

Rayne took in a deep breath and leaned forward to whisper, "I'm pregnant."

She leaned back and held her breath, waiting for Derek's response,watching the realization of her words hit his face. He was surprised,then he smiled; genuinely smiled and kissed her passionately.

When he pulled away, he only said three words to her, "I love you."