A Lie and a Broken Promise

Rayne sat quietly in Derek's car as he drove them back to his loft with her arms crossed. There were many things she wanted to say, but she bit her tongue. She didn't want to start a fight, but she knew that was probably inevitable. This wasn't the same Derek she left behind those years ago and she didn't know if she liked the one sitting on her left. Once they got inside the loft, Rayne didn't hold anything back.

Derek looked at her, crossing his arms, and asked, "How come you haven't contacted me since leaving? You made a promise, Rayne."

"I couldn't. A lot of stuff happened all at once."

"A text or anything at all would have been nice. I thought you were dead."

"Who told you that?"

"Peter.He said hunters caught up with you."

Rayne growled, "When are you going to learn not to trust him? They only found my mother. Dad, Remy and I got far away."

"You left when I needed you the most, Rayne."

Rayne uncrossed her arms, flailing them around as she yelled, "Like I had a fucking choice, Derek! You know damn well how my mother was!"

Derek looked down for a moment, knowing exactly what she meant. Her mother forbid their friendship and that was a hard secret to keep,especially from someone who had eyes and ears everywhere. Victoria practically blew up when she found out.

Rayne felt the rage start to surface and looked down at her hands. Her claws were out and she had to push it back down to get them to retract. She blamed herself somewhat for the strain on their friendship. If she hadn't developed a crush on Derek, she probably could have stayed in Beacon Hills.

When she looked back up, Derek was walking towards her. .She backed up against the wall and looked into Derek's eyes, realizing she wasn't going anywhere. Derek grabbed her face and kissed her hard.