Chapter 17 - Children

"Gahenenal, I swear by the Gods, if you do not shut up for a minute my head will explode." I spat at the chipper warrior.

Judging by the irritated look Quala sent his way, I was not the only one whose teeth were being set on edge by Gahnenal's incessant nattering. Gahnenal face grew red with embarrassment at my outburst -- he shut his mouth with a tight snap and stared resolutely at the bowl of food in his lap.

We were all sitting around a modest fire, (finally) eating in relative silence. In the hush following Gahanel's chastisement, Sle lifted his gruel-laden spoon with a disappointed look. He dropped it back into his still-full bowl and an unappetizing squelch resounded around our little group. The two little untrained sitting at the edge of the flames immediately started to giggle and wave their food  filled utensils with abandon, interpreting Sle's hesitation as a signal to let all rules fly.

When a spoonful of one of the untrained's dinner splattered unto my cheek, I decided that I was too tired to undo the damage. I continued to manfully eat Shrida's latest experiment, ignoring the slowly congealing mess on my face.

Ellerin blushed, her rose cheeks augmenting her delicate beauty, at the now-chaotic meal --complete with untrained pups running rampant and food being flung in every direction. Unobtrusively, she joined the children much to Chael's evident chagrin. With a few low words and what must have been magic, she reverted the riotous children to silently munching angels within moments.

I shot Sle a glance of incredulity as she walked quietly back to her place at Chael's side. Sle shrugged, amazement evident in his eyes. He nodded slightly and with a quick turn of my head I caught Shrida's envious expression follow Ellerin's graceful retreat. Sighing and hoping that Shrida's potential jealousy would not become an issue, I finished my meal.

Glancing around the fire, I could see that I was the only one who had finished their bowl though Sle now seemed determined to catch up. I caught his eye with a pointed look -- he met my eye and, without pause, worked away at his meal though his face gained a slightly greenish tinge.

Rolling my eyes at my firend's immaturity, I nudged Gahnenal who was staring glumly at his portion.

"Hey." I quietly said, inclining my head towards him. "Sorry about that. It's just been a long day."

He flashed me one of his radiant smiles, "I know."

"So why the long face?"

He leaned in closer to me, whispering nervously, "I know Shira tried really hard to keep the camp in order and everything but --"

"Not sure you'll be able to finish?"

"Yup." He swallowed hard as he stared at the slimy gruel that he had yet to ingest.

With a sigh, I grabbed his bowl from his lap and plunked my own empty one by his side when Shira turned to speak with Seolo beside her. Gahnenal sent me a surprised look. 

"Go take the pups to bed, alright? Settle them in." I spoke authoritatively to him. "They've caused enough trouble for one night."

Realizing it as an opportunity to escape seconds, Gahnenal quickly stood and escorted the squealing little ones to one of the lean-tos which was barely visible from the fire.

I began eating Gahnenal's meal mechanically, attempting to eat the entire bowl of gruel without tasting it. Sle glared at me across the flames, his face drawn in consternation and nausea.

Quala put down her untouched bowl with a sigh. She unsheathed the curved machete she had brought with her. The broad blade was etched with scenes of hunts and cliffs and its flexible nature sent the fire's light wobbling.