Chapter 6 - Duty

It took me three days and two nights of walking to return home. My body was sore but the short pauses I took to rest were enough to get the energy I needed.

As I expected, our main camp was deserted with the evidence of our failure still very evident. The trees shading our old camp had accelerated the scent of decomposition and the stench hung thickly in the moist air. Though I wanted to leave the reeking area, I forced myself to survey our old home. It had seemed so solid and stable. With its wind- and sun-scarred wooden walls, this camp had been our home since I had passed my Choosing.

It was common among my clan to change the main camp after each Choosing -- we had remained at this spot for about ten years.

Sighing at the wreckage, I spent a long time reflecting my failure, cloaked in stench. I had failed to protect my clan and my home. I had failed in preventing war. I had failed in preserving balance. I had failed.

The sound of footsteps drew me out of my misery. Scanning the area, I spotted some moving figures on the out edge of the cloud of decay who were discussing something under their breaths with quite a bit of passion. Curious, I stealthily crossed the plain of destruction over to where I could hear their approaching discussion.

"Absolutely not!"

"But why? It's not like it's that important - I swear, I won't tell anyone!"

"Sure; it'll be just like all the other times I tell you secrets."

"Oh, come on! It's just one plant name! That's it! It's not like I can't figure it out by myself!"

"Then why are you asking me for help?"

"Well, you could make the process a bit quicker. And you can't say that my payment isn't fair."

There was a derisive snort. "Yeah. Chores for a week in exchange for a top secret recipe that's been in the family for seven generations. Sounds very fair."

"Fine! Two weeks!"

"And you swear to keep it secret for all eternity?"

"Yes!”

“Deal!"

Stepping out of the wreckage where I had been hiding, I stood behind the discussing figures.

"My dear Gahnenal," I spoke loudly as the figures jumped, "I wasn't aware you were so gullible as to fall for Dilenkeh's old tricks."

"Canium!" Gahnenal exclaimed. Dilenkeh smiled guiltily at me.

"Let's guess - is it the recipe for purple death or green dreams?" I looked pointedly at Dilenkeh.

"Dreams - you know how the kids like the more natural looking drinks nowadays to kick-start their nights of frolicking."

"Well, go on." I waved at Dilenkeh, "continue disclosing the secret ingredient to green dreams."

Gahnenal looked uncertainly from Dilenkeh to me until Dilenkeh settled his hand on Gahnenal's shoulder. "Boy, the secret to getting green dreams to be more potent than any you could brew up on your own is..." Dilenkeh paused dramatically. "To be absolutely drunk."

"What?" Gahnenal looked confused. "But that's not a plant. You said it's a plant."

"No, my dear boy. I said a vegetative state. You thought I was talking about plants and I just didn't correct your assumptions. To make green dreams better, your mind needs to be completely blank. And that's where my hell brew comes into play." Dilenkeh winked, "Too bad you're not old enough for drinking yet, eh?"

Gahnenal sputtered.

"Speaking of which." I gestured to Dilenkeh to pass me his ever-present flask. As soon as I had caught the heavy gourd, I unstoppered it and drank. And drank. I kept drinking until Dilenkeh pulled it away from me, protesting, "Hey! This stash has to last me a month! I've only got a bit left back at camp."