Chapter 8 - Scars

Well, this was frustrating. I sighed angrily as we left the Assembly and began the trek home.  My fellow clan leaders did not wish to communicate anymore with our potential invaders -- further negotiation was out of the question. A lot of open doors shut firmly when that decision was passed. The only options we had to contemplate, then, were war, surrender or escape.

I dragged my hood angrily away from my face -- how the other clan leaders thought running away was the best solution escaped me. Running to sister clans beyond the woods was not the solution. It was just another way to lose our way of life. At least if we stayed, either to fight or surrender, we had a hope of one day regaining our way of life.

Running solved nothing -- if anything, it egged on the invading king to conquer more land. It would strain our relations with sister clans, force us to change our ways, and reduce resources for any clan hospitable enough to accept us. Gods, and now we had to do it. We had to run. I loathed this...

"Dilenkeh." My voice cut into our silent contemplations as we walked, leaving the Miraconid territory behind. "What do you think?"

"What about?"

I gestured wildly. "The Assembly."

Dilenkeh paused causing us all to stop, "Well, it's not my problem." He caught my glare, "What I mean is that my opinion doesn't come into it, you know?"

"And if it did?"

"I don't want to go." He said shortly and continued walking through the stubby alpine forests that grew on the Hemiauchenilian territory. 

"Thenzon? What's your opinion?"

"We have to follow the Assembly. I don't want to lose my home but what choice do we have? Choices made at the Assembly are binding. I wish we could decide what to do as a clan."

I nodded, "It is a bit more inclusive."

Silence descended on our little troupe once more. We forded the Great River and returned to our territory.

"Canium?"

"Yes, Thenzon?"

"What is a Choosing like?"

"Well, first you must volunteer yourself within your clan. Then, you do your clan's Choosing three challenges. Finally, you must win your challenge against the other clan leaders. If there is a tie, then there are more challenges until there is only one victor. The victor is the new clan leader."

Dilenkeh threw a glance over his shoulder at me, "That's not what the boy meant and you know it. Answer his question."

"Damn you Dilenkeh." I sighed. "It's the most terrifying thing you can imagine."

"That's it!" Dilenkeh stopped right in front of me and I collided into him. "Sit." He commanded imperiously, though I was already on the ground - I had tripped while trying to regain my balance after the collision. "Now tell him. Everything."

"Damn you Dilenkeh! Why should I?" I shouted at him.

He knelt to look me right in the face, "The younger generation doesn't know what you did to become Canium. Do you want them to think that they could do better themselves? It's not like today's news is going to help you gain back your popularity. Especially after yesterday's ridiculous announcements."

I silently contemplated these harsh truths. "I hate it when you're right. Alright boys, get comfy." Dilenkeh smirked and settled himself. Thenzon sat down uncertainly but with eyes full of curiosity. I lent back and stared at the sky peeking out from between the thick branches of the surrounding conifers -- it was so much easier to speak with the illusion of no one being there.