Chapter Three

Chapter Three

                                    ______________________________________

                    In and out, I fell of consciousness.

My eyelids opening at the slightest and I saw nothing but blur.

My ears heard only hushed voices; words I couldn't decipher and tones I couldn't put faces on.

"... you sure he's your—?"

"... explains why he's in he—"

Darkness once again, followed by silence.

Again into consciousness, this time two humanoid blurs came into picture.

"... e's human. It can be overwhelming for their bodies—"

"... should stay with him. It'll calm his body down—"

My body reverted back to slumber once more and with the sleep came a dream:

Me, sprinting through a dense forest. Woods passed as blurs and the wind hummed into my ears. My feet stomped the forest floor, along with someone else's— or something else's. It didn't sound human. Numerous footfalls resounded beside me in a steady rhythm that accompanied mine; crunching leaves and snapping twigs.

I risked a glance to my left and gasped at what I saw. There running beside me, proximity no less than a foot, is a large brown wolf. Its fur, brown highlighted with blonde, shone bright under the sunlight. Never have I ever saw anything more beautiful in my entire life.

Time seemed to slow down as I watched its taut muscles flex and relax, pushing itself from the ground. An urge to rake my fingers through its flowing fur rose from within me, a desire to touch, a desire to get closer.

And then we came into a halt. Time went back to normal and my vision zoomed out from the beautiful wolf. The view was a stunning panorama of the ocean, the sun up above the cloudless blue sky. The wind felt warm and salty. The loud splash of waves echoed from below. I realized we were on an edge of a cliff.

A menacing growl grumbled behind me and I abruptly turned. A man cladded in leather stood before us. His outfit was a very dark shade of maroon that resembled blood. He was dangerously armed. Variety of firearms poked out from his back and blades of various lengths were strapped against both his sides. Fear rose within me as the wolf crouched defensively in front of me.

In a blink of an eye, he threw a dagger in our direction. The wolf evaded effortlessly as he ran towards the attacker. It leaped, readying its claws for a lethal swipe. The man remained in a calm demeanor, slightly pushing back his black glasses. He moved swiftly. Pulling a shotgun, he aimed and fired within one brisk movement. Panic coursed through me as I feared for the wolf's life.

The wolf fleetly tucked its head in and evasively spun to safety. With mere grazes it landed on the ground with a bounce. I released the breath I unknowingly held. With a drop of blood, the wolf spared no more than second and lunged at incredible speed. Before the man could aim, the wolf unarmed him with a nimble swipe. As the gun flew from his hand the wolf snapped its jaws at him, but with his free hand he held the wolf back from its neck. The wolf jumped off of him just as he moved his foot, accessorized with small blade underneath the boot, kicking the air.

The man rolled and immediately stood, still with a cold exterior. In a moment he grabbed something from his back and then a blade spun rapidly towards the wolf. It barely dodged the attack, resulting in a trim of its golden fur. Then it leaped towards the man before he regained his stance. The wolf managed to pin him to the ground and snarled fiercely at his face. The man's face shifted, but not in fear. No, his face slowly pulled into a sly smile.