» 03: Anniversary

"Dick!"

"We love you."

"..A man by the name, Tony Zucco.."

"There's no room. Send him to the Detention Center."

"Hey, freak!"

"They're dead because of you!"

A sour taste coated my tongue as unwanted memories continued to swirl around in my mind. My lips fastening themselves into a deep frown. "Im going to be going out for a bit, Alf!" I called, flashing the butler a forced smile, before letting the door slam behind me.

It wasn't a long walk towards my destination, thankfully. Just a few minutes at most as my feet smothered the already wilting grass.

"Why these colors? Why not something cool like.. like blue?"

"Because when I see you soar, you remind me of a beautifully graceful robin. Those colors fit you, don't you think?"

"Yeah, but.. blue's still cooler."

My mood was dark honestly, with everything that was happening, I repeatedly cursed myself that I had almost forgot such an important day. Stupid. I let a sigh slipped out my nose as what I was searching for came into view.

I was quick to watch couple autumn leaves fluttered by, brushing past the cold stone slabs in front of me.

Mary and John Grayson.

I remained still and deathly silent, only the ominous howl of wind catching my ears as it fluttered through my hair. I could only imagine how white my knuckles were as I kept my fists shoved into the pockets of my jacket. My eyes unwavering as I kept them locked on the names etched into the stone. I didn't quite keep track of how much time had passed, the quiet buzzing in my pocket drawing my attention back to reality. I reluctantly pried my gaze away from the tombstones and towards the small lit screen in my hand. My lips twitching as I noticed it was from my favorite speedster.

"Babe, M'gann wants to know if you want to have a movie marathon tonight? Harry Potter?"

"How could I say no to Harry Potter?" I whispered, that small smile still pulling at my lips. I cleared my throat, shoving my phone back in my pocket. "Sorry." I breathed out, kneeling down and hesitantly reaching a hand out to touch my mother's name. "..That was Wally. He wants me to watch Harry Potter with him and M'gann. So I should probably make this quick.." I remained silent a moment longer as I continued. "Um you see, Wally.. he- he's everything to me. If it wasn't for him, I think it's safe to say I wouldn't be where I am right now."

Wow, swallowing was starting to get hard. "I know I swore I would avenge both of you.. But Bruce he-" I swallowed thickly, freeing both of my hands to rub at my face as I finally sat down. "He uh.. he's showing me a better way um.." I cleared my throat once more as I averted my gaze toward the ground, rubbing at my neck. "I know I've already taken a long time, but if possible, would you forgive me if I took a bit longer?"

I felt oddly sick with myself asking for permission for something so.. selfish. But I don't want to.. "I don't want to go back to who I was." I admitted, locking my gaze with her name once more. "I would lose them. All of them.. and-" I let a confused laugh slip past my lips as I ignored the burning in my eyes. "I don't want that. I don't want to lose this strange new family I just found." I laughed once more as I continued to rub at my neck, the chilled air pointing out the wetness on my cheeks.

Roughly, I dried my face with the sleeve of my jacket, tears quickly wetting my cheeks once again, as I let out another small laugh "It's just.. it's so strange. I never had a problem with it, but now-" I chuckled once more, "I don't want to be alone anymore. I-I don't want to go back to that life where I secluded myself behind that goddamned computer screen. I don't want.. to lose all of them."

I rubbed at my face roughly. Ugh seriously, enough with the waterworks Dick. For fuck sake. I let out another sigh, running a hand through my hair. "I would understand if you hated me for this but.. I think it's time I moved on. Actually do something with my life.. I'm allowed that much, right?"

I didn't expect an answer. More or less I didn't need one as I calmly sat there a moment longer. The wind slowly picking up as I watched more leaves flutter through the air. And with one last sigh, I forced myself up. "Don't get me wrong. I promise, I won't forget what happened to you, but.."  I remained quiet a moment, before a smile pulled at my lips. "You get the gist of it. I'll be visiting a lot more. Promise."

I shoved my hands in the pockets of my hoodie, trying to protect my skin from the nipping cold. I being able to feel the light breeze dance through my hair.

It was peaceful.

Was peaceful.

I halted to a stop, my shoes skidding beneath me as I saw that same glint of orange peeking out behind another tomb a little ways away. A body definitely attached to it.

My eyes widened, whilst my jaw clenched. Every fiber of my being buzzing with what I could only identify as fear. This man- this assassin- scared me.

Terrified the hell out of me.

Because I know what he can do. I know, that in one swift movement, I could be killed.

"My my, what a coincidence." He sneered, stepping from the shadows, fully revealing himself. "It's been quite a while, hasn't it, R?"

"Robin." I corrected without thinking. Clearing my throat, I continued. "My name is Robin now."

"I'll keep that in mind." He duly noted, stepping right in front of me. "But, you and I both know I'm not here to exchange names."

"Here to kill me?" I took a small step back, letting my hands fall out of my pockets, my eyes watching every movement he made.

"Where's the fun in that?" He chuckled, reaching forward and gripping my chin, and turning my head to face him. "I came to.. deliver a message."

A message? Since when does Slade play pigeon? "What message?"

"I've been hired by a very important man, and this man wants you. But, you see, he wants you to come willingly, so, this is where the message comes into play." He seemed bored, his tone dulling with every word. It's obvious he's only doing this for either the kicks or money. Preferably the latter..

"What is it?"

"We are giving you two months to hand yourself over to him, or he'll be killing that little team you seem to have befriended." He held up two fingers as he let the words sink in. "Oh. And I'm sure Batman's assassination can be arranged as well. I mean, Bruce Wayne can't always be on guard outside the suit, now can he?"

I suppressed a growl. "And what exactly would happen once I hand myself over to this man?"

"You'll most likely be killed." He stated casually, releasing my chin.

"What? why?" Am I going to be part of some undead army. Oh please don't let this be another plot like 'Warm bodies'.

"I don't need to tell you."

"How do I know your threat is real?" I countered, but all I needed was a few photos thrown out in front of me. Each with an image of the team, Batman, Alfred, everyone I knew on it. Each taken from an unnoticeable distance. I felt my heart jump to my throat.

"We don't make empty promises, Robin." He stated, before slowly disappearing into the distance.

That fear I had, had now double tenfold.

- To Be Continued -

A/N:

Sorry for the short chapter. :0

-JJ