Chapter 21

Rachel’s POV

“It’s nothing, I’m fine,” I say with a cough as I get out of the car and see him waiting on the front porch steps.I breathe a sigh of relief that not all the boys were waiting. They must have returned to England this morning. My mom and I had left early in the hopes that I would be back by the time he had awoken but there was such a long wait that we didn’t even get in until lunch.

“Don’t tell me it’s nothing, you were at the doctors, what’s wrong?” he asks worriedly hurrying towards me. He puts his hand around my waist and I lean against him letting him carry some of my weight.

“I’m fine, I just need to rest for a little bit,” I say again, the doctor’s words playing through my mind. The cancer had spread. I didn’t have much longer. I feel my eyes start to water and duck my head so he doesn’t notice. My mom had tried to persuade me to return back to America so I could be at home when everything happened but I had refused. I know it was slightly selfish because not only was I making it more difficult for her, I knew I was making it so Niall had to watch me get worse and worse but I just couldn’t bear to leave him yet. He helps me upstairs and I lay in bed. He lies down beside me, wrapping an arm around me pulling me close.

“I can’t lose you” he says, his lips brushing against my forehead. I let out a sigh as I curl up against him, wishing we could stay like this forever as I drift off to sleep.

A few hours later Niall awakens me by shaking my shoulder gently. I blink a few times, my eyes adjusting to the darkness around us. “What?” I ask sleepily.

“Come on, there’s something you need to see” he replies scooping me up in his arms. I lean my head against his chest letting an arm hang loosely around his neck as he carries me outside to the backyard. I let out a gasp as I look around and see candles laid out and one of the deck chairs out on the grass. He sits down on the chair pulling me onto his lap and I snuggle closer to him, resting my head on his shoulder.

“Why are we here?” I ask curiously.

“Shhh” he says quietly “Just watch”. I nod slightly before looking up at the sky. A shooting star flashes across the sky. I let out a gasp and turn to Niall to see if he had seen it. “Keep watching,” he whispers with a smile and I turn my attention back towards the sky and see another, then another. Pretty soon the entire sky is filled with shooting stars.

“How did you do this?” I ask my eyes wide in wonderment.

“There was a meteor shower tonight. I’ve been planning this for weeks now,” he whispers. I can feel his eyes on me and smile, cuddling closer to him. I feel his arms tighten around me keeping me warm.

“Thank you” I say looking at him. “For everything” He just nods his head and I lean my head back against his cheek as we go back to watching the stars light up the sky.

I wake up the next morning and look around confused before I realize I’m back in my bed. I look around trying to figure out if it was all just a dream when I see the sheet of paper next to me. It was the Bucket list that I had given to Niall back in America. I pick it up and notice that the last item on the list was crossed off with a note beside it.

We finished it :-)

I had to go do an interview but I’ll be home soon.

I smile, placing the list back down and stand up. I immediately have to sit back down again because I’m overcome with a feeling of vertigo. It had started happening on a regular basis a week or two ago. Which is partially why we had gone to the doctor. The headaches had been the other reason. They had started out really lightly but had steadily grown worse and worse. I hadn’t told Niall because I didn’t want to worry him. I cautiously stand up again, leaning against the wall until the feeling fully passes, a headache was still pounding in my head as if someone had taken a hammer and just beaten me with it. I gather my strength and slowly head down the stairs and see my mom in the kitchen. She looks up at me with worry in her eyes.

“Are you alright? You look really pale,” she asks worriedly. I feel the headache growing worse. The world around me begins spinning and my vision starts going black.

“Mom” I manage to whisper as my head sears with pain and my knees buckle. I hear a scream as my legs fall out from under me, and everything goes black.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are nearing the end! Thank you to all that have read this! It's my first attempt at writting so I hope you like it. Don't forget to vote and comment!