33

Jun is an ordinary boy.

Well, that's what he wanted.

But in reality, he isn't. His life is different from other people.

His father was... Well, let's just say he hit and run with his mother.

Now, let's talk about his mother.

His mom is weak, because she has lung cancer. Stage 4, to be exact. How'd she get it? Well, she smoked every day, even if Jun tried to stop her. There was nothing he could do but to spend his last moments with her wisely. Not knowing when she'd go and fly to heaven, he spent moments with her that he knows that he won't forget in the future.

Jun worked in three different places just for his mother and that they could get by. He paid for the food, the electricity, the water bill and for the apartment. He was always working, that he forgets to buy things that he needs. Whenever he has leftover money, he'd buy paper.

And now, you're wondering, 'why does he need paper that much?'

Because, he believed that,

If he were to make a thousand paper cranes, he can wish that his mother gets to live.

Even though, he himself,

is sick, too.

.
"That's it! Mark, switch seats with Jun!"

That made Jun's heart to beat rapidly. He was a shy kid, no doubt about that. So even if he were just to stand and switch seats, he'd be nervous about it. He didn't like the attention. He didn't like the eyes of the students on him. It made him more prone to do stupid things.

So, he grabbed his backpack, and made his way to his new seat. He plopped down and stared straight ahead, avoiding the girl's gaze.

He was nervous, in a way, since he knew that this girl's best friend was that guy he switched seats with, he kinda felt bad. A little.

"Hi."

The girl beside him greets, making him quite startled, yet at the same time, he expected it. This girl beside him was quite a talker, after all. He knew that because she was always scolded, along with Mark.

"Uh...m.. H-Hello." He shyly answers back. His eyes trying to avoid her gaze.

Finally, she looked away. She looked at the window beside Jun, "Nice weather we're having, huh?"

Jun mumbles back, "It's raining..."

"Well," the girl swallows, "rain is nice."

He nods.

"Yeah."

"It's peaceful... and stuff."

"A drizzle will be much more peaceful." He says, eyeing the harsh downpour that kept tapping on the window. The clouds were gray and the sky was dark. The trees swayed here and there. He just looked at it, like he was stuck in his train of thoughts.

It'd be nice if I spend it at home rather than in school...

"Still, it'sㅡ

"Ms. L/n!"

Y/n was scolded yet again.

"Oh. Crap."

She whispers, making Jun chuckle a little, a chuckle that only he can hear.

.

The next day, Jun was greeted by a lively Y/n. After that, he was invited to eat with them. The girl seemed to be wanting him to eat with them, so without any other choice, he said yes to the offer, making the girl smile and making his heart flutter.

And from then on, he was best friends with Mark and Y/n. Though, everyday he'd ask Y/n the same question again and again, "Can I have some paper?"

Y/n didn't know the reason, but she'd give him from time to time if Jun does something Y/n wants.

Mark, Jun and Y/n always ate together, laughed together at their own stupid and childish jokes that their silly minds made up, talked to each other about almost everything and still have something to talk about after. They were inseparable, that's what the whole class thought of them.

Day by day, Jun opened up, slowly. He was finally sharing stories of his he never told anyone but his mother, he shared unbelievable gossips he heard at his old school, he shared basically everything with the two. That's how much he trusted them. Though, he didn't tell them about it.

Everyday, Y/n would greet him first. He'd smile to himself about it because he never had anyone but his mother to be this warm to him. It made his heart beat fast, so fast that it'd be inhuman.

It was so long. He felt this feeling so long ago that he forgot what it felt. Y/n always made Jun's day. She'd borrow his round glasses and say, "I'm Harry Potter!" or she'd make up some stupid puns that would make Jun groan, but at the same time, make him laugh.

Y/n was making him fall in love.

Did Y/n like him, too? Does Y/n feel the same way as him? He was so confused, and so he refused to confess. She'd say no anyway, right? She'd reject him anyway, right?

Besides, he'll die anyway.

Sooner than anyone.

But he's trying to make so many paper cranes, the paper cranes that was meant for his dead mother. He wanted to wish that he could get cured from this sickness. He wanted to wish that he'd get to live...

Yet his goal of a thousand paper cranes was so out of his reach,

he only made four hundred.

But that didn't stop him from making paper cranes.

Because he wanted to live and be with Y/n and Mark,

Even if it pains him to see them together,

Being sweet to one another and making Jun think if possibly,

He was the one Y/n was kissing.

.
I made this at 9pm with my mind clouded so it might be bad lol apologies anyway the ending is getting near lol