04 - The Motorcylist

I did the only thing I could think of.

I ran.

The two men immediately chased after me and, to my disappointment, they were surprisingly fast for their size.

It wasn't long until my legs started aching. I tried to ignore the pain and ran faster. I considered tossing my heavy backpack away so I wouldn't have to carry as much weight, but then remembered that without a job, Mom wouldn't be able to afford replacing all my textbooks.

Even at a time like this, Dad is somehow ruining my life.

I desperately looked around, but there was nowhere to hide and no one to help. The only thing I could do was try to outrun them until I found someone. 

I could hear them catching up to me.

Panic and terror coursed through my body as I realized I was too slow. My blood pounded in my ears and a stitch was forming in my side. I felt like I was on the verge of collapsing. My legs were burning, but I wouldn't stop.

"You can't get away!" one of them yelled. He didn't even sound out of breath.

My lungs, on the other hand, were on fire. My breathing was beoming increasingly ragged. 

The whole scenario felt like a dream. I never imagined something like this would ever happen to me. I had always seen the missing persons notices on the internet or on the news, but it always felt so impersonal. My heart clenched at the idea of mom having to send in my yearbook picture to the cops for the same reason.

I had to get away. I couldn't put my mother through that after everything she's had to deal with.

It was funny, the things someone thinks about in moments of absolute terror.

I'm a little ashamed that this is the most exercise I've gotten in almost two years.

Stupid Luke. Why did he have to get detention today of all days?

Mom and Connor are gonna be so worried.

I hate you Dad. I hate you, but I miss you so damn much. How could you?

Never in my life have I felt so helpless and terrified.

One of them made a grab for me, but missed by inches. The pounding of feet behind me sent ripples of terror through my body that propelled me forward. It motivated me to keep running.

I was almost at the edge of the construction site. A small bubble of hope rose in my chest. I could make it. I can get away.

And then I felt a thick hand close around my arm.

I screamed like I was being murdered, which didn't seem like such a ridiculous notion considering the situation I was in. I didn't even notice I had been crying until I realized my vision was blurred. My attempts to pull my wrist out of his iron grip were useless. I resorted to punching and kicking wildly, not sure if I was even hitting anything.

I couldn't stop screaming.

"I don't want to use my taser, Ms. Wade, but I will if you don't cooperate," he threatened, struggling to keep my flailing limbs from connecting with his body.

"Goddamnit. Do y'think you can hold her while I find the rope in the van?" the shorter one asked as he narrowly avoided getting kicked in the crotch. He was panting slightly slightly. "I wonder what the boss wants with her."

"Please, I don't have any money," I begged. My voice was barely a whisper and my throat was hoarse from all the yelling. 

The taller man laughed harshly. "You have something much more valuable than mon—"