Blood-Red Emotion

LISTEN TO THE SONG AS YOU READ! <3

Left, was it? I don't care, Des needs help quickly. I sprinted, not even thinking about my lack of breath. Street names all blurred into one, and I couldn't even remember her street name anyway. Is she okay? What if something terrible happens? 

Without knowing, I had ran one entire block, and I could see the houses. They were all so nice and homey... no-one would ever think about what situation I am currently in. Two houses to go! My legs were forced to their limit, and I passed the car and nearly slammed into the door. I opened it, trying to make it as loud as possible. It was nearly dark.

"DESTERY!" I used my last breath for, and took a massive gulp of oxygen before shouting again. "She's in the woods! COME ON!" I screamed, and I saw her mothers and fathers head poke around the kitchen door, their faces white as if they'd just seen a ghost. 

They were both silent as they went past me and through the door. I felt lost, alone, everyone had left. I honestly don't know where to go... I don't think I can take going back. But Destery... she needs me. I think I'm the only one that truly knows about what she's feeling...

Decision made. The door slammed shut.

***

I could here Destery screaming, and her mothers hushing as I walked timidly past the corner. I could see everything straight away.

Gerard was pinning Destery down, despite everything in Destery fighting against him. She was kicking, screaming and doing everything she could to get her Dad off her. I could see the pain in her Dad's eyes, the weariness and hatred of having to do this to his daughter. Seeing it was past emotional, so much so that I had to focus onto her Mum.

Amelia was much stronger, clearly determined to stay strong for Des. She was pulling back her hair behind her ears, and whispering sweet lullabies and occasionally kissing her forehead. 

Destery was still proving strong. But it wasn't Destery. It was just her body. Our Destery had given up soon after she went cold. After I'd watched her injur herself, scream and put her body through so much pain. This? This was the evil that's welled up inside of her for these years, controlled by demons of potentially her own imagination. We'd never know, as Des can't tell the difference between dream and reality. Maybe it was both combined.

"Poor Des..." I whispered, wiping a stray tear. Both parents faced me, scared at first. Their smiles soon appeared, and Amelia wafted her hand in order of coming closer. Despite everything in my body telling me not to, I did. 

"Carrie, honey... I'm not going to pressure you into telling me why this has happened. It doesn't matter," She choked a little, and I winced at our shared pain, "it's already happened. But... How long has this been going on?" She gave me a stretched smile, and continued to stroke Destery's forehead as she started to kick less. Could she hear us?

"Half an hour, around about. The first ten minutes was violent, and the next five less so but more chanting happened." I took a cleansing breath, I can't cry anymore. "The next ten or so was of her muttering things, laying completely still, with small spasms. Then I came to get you..." I sniffed, and grabbed Destery's now still hand. Gerard loosened up a little, before holding her other hand. 

"Okay..." I saw Amelia tear up a little. "My baby girl..." Amelia didn't question further, just stroked her flushed and scratched cheeks.

Gerard spoke up. "Carrie, did you get hurt?" 

I didn't think that mattered. "A little, she went cold and still so I went to help her. Then she changed again, and grabbed my ankle as I tried to run away. I got away, though..." I sighed, and started her fingernails caked in mud. I don't know if it was me, but it felt like we were huddling around a corpse. I shouldn't think that, with Des being so fragile, but it couldn't be helped.

"It's getting dark." I pointed out, noticing the dark canvas of night crawling across the sky. Amelia nodded and kissed Destery on both cheeks, her closed eyelids and her forehead. I couldn't help but smile, and wish that my own mother was here. 

"Gerard, love, could you carry her?" Amelia said softly, like too much noise would break Destery.

"Of course." He replied, and lifted her up after me and Amelia stood up. I grabbed the camera and secretly put it in my jumper pocket.

Amelia took my hand, and smiled at me.

"It'll be fine, love. Tomorrow, let her go easy, okay?" She said sweetly, and I nodded in reply. We started walking home, in silence... but so synchronised.