Blood-Red Pianist

Slam. The door closed. Dad's home from work. I'd been sulking in my room for over an hour, just crying and letting all my frustration out on my piano. Even though I loved playing my own music, no-one ever heard it other than my parents and five year old brother. I was kicked out of both lessons and band a year ago because news about my 'insanity' had spread. Ever since I'd learnt by ear.

Despite my past, the shouting downstairs had only just begun. They never think that I can't hear them, but I can.

"She's crazy, Gerard! Insane! I don't know where we've gone wrong! These voices are stupid, but it's been all her life revolves around for over half a decade." My mother shouted.

My Dads reply was calmer, but blinking on upset, "I know, Amelia. Destery is obviously both wise and immature. If we get help-"

"We are getting help! I don't think I can do this anymore, what about Niall? Destery's getting all the attention and Niall's starting school this year, what are we supposed to tell him when he's old enough to understand that his sister isn't normal?" She fired back. Tears started to flow, like she'd unscrewed the tap that leaked from my heart. It isn't like me, to cry, I used to be happy. Now I'm constantly lonely and sad. I couldn't hear any more, and begun to play again.

I never know what I'm playing, but my fingers move across the keys almost magically. Without thinking. It does sound beautiful, and my Dad once told me to write what I play down- but the truth is that I like it being different every time. It sounds different to each mood I am in. Fast, jumpy recollects my time in the woods, slow and peaceful is my regret as I let them all go... and low and solid is how I felt right now. It's my only method of helping.

Without knowing how long it had been, I heard my fathers footsteps walk down to my room. I chose to ignore it, and started playing something different. As he walked in and sat on my bed, I slowed and made it quieter for him to say something. 

"Destery, we need to talk. If you could untie yourself from the inseparable bond with you and your piano, it would be nice." He joked, and I liked my Dad for that. I wasn't crazy to him.

I stopped moving my fingers, and sat next to him on my red bed. "Dad, please make this as pain-less as possible." I sighed, and played with my jet-black ringlets.

"I know, I know. Honey- we love you both. Mum just gets stressed with the attention you require with your... problem. We've been talking, and we think that we could try and get you into a special school for people like you." 

"You mean a mental institution? Yeah, I get it Dad. I'm a freak. Just say it because it hurts more for you to lie. These voices are real!" I explained, getting annoyed.

"There are no voices, Destery." Dad sighed, but we've been through this so many times that I no longer argue. "We're applying for you, but Mum wants me to come with you for the first time in the woods."

"Do you have to? It's my personal place, I may hate it but I'm drawn more every time I go there..." I rejected, but he gave me a stern look.

"I'm sure It'll be fine."