A Sick Cruel World

Katie

This has to be some sick cruel joke. I half expect someone to jump out from behind a curtain to say this was all a joke, that my son was not really hurt in some horrible accident. Better yet I wish someone would just wake me up from this nightmare. That has to be what it is, I’m just sleeping and I can’t wake myself up.

Why is his little hand so cold? Where is his blanky? He can’t sleep without it.

“Nurse!” I screamed frantically searching the room for his blanket.

It has to be here somewhere. He needs his blanky. “Where did you put his blanket?” I half yelled at the nurse when she entered the room.

“What blanket?” She looked at me puzzled.

“He always has his blanky, where did you put it?”

“I’m sorry but he didn’t have a blanket when he was admitted. I can go get him one from the linen closet if you would like.” I took a step towards her so that we were only a few inches apart.

“No, I want his blanket now! So I suggest you leave this room and don’t return until you have his blanket in your pretty little hands. Do you understand me?”

The petite, brunette nurse quickly scurried from the room. I turned back to Alex and then fell to the floor in a heap of uncontrollable sobs. I feel so helpless right now, I am his mother and there is nothing I can do to help him. Please someone just wake me up from this nightmare and put my baby back into my arms.

I heard the door slowly open behind me so I sat up quickly and wiped the tears from my eyes before turning around to see who had entered the room. I looked over my shoulder through my swollen eyes to see Owen standing in the doorway pleading to me with his eyes.

“Please let me stay,” he said softly.

“Owen you have to fix him and make him all better,” I pleaded through my sobs. He walked slowly towards me. His right hand was now bandaged. He looked like he had just come back from a fight.

Without saying a word he sat on the floor beside me and held me against his chest while I cried into his shoulder. “I’m so sorry,” I mumbled into his chest.

“It’s ok, Katie…I am here and we will get through this.”

“It’s not ok. He’s hurt and there is nothing I can do to help him. All we can do is wait and see if he wakes up. I can’t just sit here and wait. You have to fix him and make everything right again. You just have to. If he dies I will never forgive you for this.”

I felt him lean back and gently push me away from him. He looked down at me in horror, with a bit of anger raging in his eyes.

“What the hell do you expect me to do? It was an accident. I am not a miracle worker I can’t just make this all disappear. No matter how much I wish I could change what has happened I can’t!”

I quickly made my way to my feet and backed further away from him. I have never seen him so angry. Why is he yelling at me? This is not my fault.

“You know what I don’t need this right now,” I growled and returned my focus to Alex.

“Actually, you are right. You don’t need this. Go ahead and blame me for everything that goes wrong in your perfect little life. You are such a selfish, self-absorbent bitch and I’m done.”

I gasped at his words but didn’t dare turn around to give him any satisfaction that his words had truly hurt me. I heard his heavy footsteps as he left the room and the door close behind him.

The tears fell faster as I realized what he had said. What did he mean he was done? He couldn’t possibly mean he was leaving me could he? I laid my head down against Alex’s bed as the words ran through my head.

“Katie…Katie turn and look at me,” I heard a familiar male voice behind me. I turned to see Owen’s father standing behind me.

“What is going on?” He asked concerned.

Without saying anything I turned back to Alex. “I have never seen Owen this mad before, what the hell did you say to him?”

“Maybe you should go ask your precious son what he had the nerve to say to me,” I said under my breath.

“You two need to stop this now. You are both acting like two spoiled brats. I know I raised my son better than this. You shouldn’t be arguing while your son is laying here fighting for his life. You should be comforting each other instead of pushing each other away. Katie, it was an accident that no one could have predicted so you need to stop blaming Owen for this. All he has ever done is tried to support you but you keep pushing him away.”

I turned my head to look at him as the tears streamed down my face. All I could think was that he said he was done. I could not grasp what his father was trying to tell me because the word “done” was all I could see right now.

“Could you please leave me alone with my son.” I watched him nod then turned to leave. I turned back to Alex and let the tears fall freely.

The minutes ticked by slowly as I watched the sun set from Alex’s hospital room. The nurse came by several times to check on Alex and to see if I needed anything. Owen never came back that night. I refused to leave my baby alone so I didn’t dare leave the room to go and look for him.

“Alex, baby boy you can’t leave me. You have to fight. I can’t make it on my own without you.”