Drawing a Blank

Owen

It was already noon and Katie was still sound asleep. She didn’t even budge when Alex cried this morning. Alex was lying on the floor on his back playing with one of his many toys. He has so many we are going to have to build another room just to store all of them.

Katie came stumbling out of the bedroom and cursing at the lights a few minutes later. She walked straight past me to the cabinet and grabbed a mug then filled it with coffee. I could hear her get back into the cabinet and pull out a bottle of pills.

“So how’s it going Rocky?” I teased her.

“Rocky…shit is someone here?” She said as she scurried back down the hall to the bathroom cup of coffee in tow.

I laughed as I picked up Alex and placed him in the pack n play then walked down the hall to the bathroom. Opening the door I was surprised to see her sitting on the floor against the wall.

Looking down at her drinking her coffee I said, “No, no one is here. I was referring to you.”

“Why the hell would you call me Rocky?”

“Ok well maybe David would be a better name for you,” I laughed.

“What are you talking about?” She looked up at me with her eyebrow arched.

“Do you remember anything from last night?” I crossed my arms leaning against the door frame.

She pulled her knees up to her chest as she laid the cup beside her. “Obviously I did something stupid so please enlighten me.”

“You don’t remember picking a fight with someone twice your size?”

“Now why in hell would I do that? I must have been pretty far gone to have done something that stupid.” She rested her forehead on her knees as she let out a small laugh.

“Matt said you tried to teach this guy some manners…Katie style, which involved your knee to his groin.”

“Well he must have deserved it,” she replied. Kneeling down in front of her I lifted her chin so she was looking at me.

“It doesn’t matter if he deserved it Katie, the point is he could have easily killed you.” She turned her head away from me trying to pout. I stood up and walked towards the door then turned around

“Could you do me a favor and get Alex dressed, I’m going to head into town to see Mom and pick up some groceries. Do you want to go with?” I asked looking down at her.

“I think I will pass this time only because I would rather not go see your mom like this.” She ran her fingers through her ratted hair then grimaced as she got her ring stuck in her hair. I laughed then walked over to help her detangle her hand.

“Well is ok I take your car so we can take Mom out to lunch? I’m sure she would love to get out.” Grabbing her hand I pulled her up to her feet. She started to lose her balance so I grabbed her shoulders to steady her. Once she had her bearings I let her leave the room. I could hear her making noises at Alex attempting to get him to laugh.

I quickly changed my clothes while Katie dressed Alex. I made my way to the nursery to see Katie making an awful face. She was waving her hand in front of her nose as changed his diaper. She looked up to see me leaning against the door frame laughing and rolled her eyes at me. I walked up behind her wrapping my arms around her waist while I rested my chin on her shoulder.

I kissed her neck then pulled back as I said, “Wow that stinks.”

“What did you feed the kid,” she laughed turning her head to look at me.