Chapter 4

Zoe's POV

Her hazel eyes were locked with mine. I couldn't breathe... Our faces were just inches apart, our lips so close to meeting. Her gaze moved slightly down to my lips, causing me to blush yet again. To this day I still don't know who moved first...

Our lips brushed gently...

My eyes rolled back as our lips met in a full kiss. I moaned into her mouth as she slid her tongue under mine. I felt her hands slowly move down my back to my ass, pulling me closer to her. Suddenly my eyes shot open when I remembered where we were and exactly who was kissing me.

---------

Whitney's POV

Her lips were so soft, and the moan that escaped her throat nearly put me to the point where I would lose control. I slid my hands down her back to her toned, muscular ass. I pulled her closer to me, deepening the kiss.

Then, simultaneously, we must have both had the same realization... I was kissing my student... She pulled away from me and quickly stood up, turning her back to me. I stood up, and shot a glance at her as I turned to unlock the closet where we kept equipment.

I sighed, thinking, That can never happen again...

----------

Zoe's POV

I stared at the floor, not sure what to really think. Then I realized the only thing on my legs was my sliders. I quickly pulled on a pair of shorts and walked out of the dugout. I couldn't be near her right now. But that kiss wasn't quick to leave my mind. It kept replaying in my mind all throughout practice.

After practice got over I helped clean up and then made a beeline for my car. Haylee had brought some jumper cables along so we could get my car started. Once it started I left, wanting to get as far away from the softball fields as possible. I showered and just stood under the scalding water for what seemed like forever.

It can't happen ever again, I thought with tears forming in my eyes.

I went to sleep that night dreaming of her. When I woke up I had a realization... Coach Warner was helping me forget about 'her'. But I knew, just like the last time this happened, it would only end in heart break if I tried to pursue these feelings.

I had promised myself I wouldn't let my heart get broken again and I promised I would never fall for anyone again. But apparently, my heart had a mind of its own.

------

Whitney's POV

I sat at my desk trying to grade papers. It was so damn hard to focus when all I could think about was that kiss. The way her body had felt against mine... I shook my head vigorously, reminding myself I couldn't think about it.

The bang rang for lunch to end. My heart started racing, because that bell also marked the fact that Zoe would be in my classroom for the next hour. Now I was just debating with myself. Should I pretend she didn't exist or should I acknowledge her presence in some way. The only thing I knew was that I had to keep those thoughts away...

Zoe walked in with her head down. I frowned then looked back at my desk. So that was the game we were playing.

"Alright class, get your notes out. Just copy from the PowerPoint. I want involved discussion today, if you don't participate in the discussion you will lose points for the day," I said pulling up the PowerPoint.

I sat in the edge of my desk, clicking the next button on my clicker.

"Alright, so today we're going to talk about what events pushed our founding fathers to declare independence from Great Britain. Who wants to give me some events?"

The class dragged on a little. Everyone so far had participated, except Zoe... Who was sitting at the back obviously trying her damnedest to not be noticed.

"So we know how the colonists felt, but how do you think the people in Great Britain felt?"

Silence.

"Oh come on, who wants to play Devil's Advocate?"

Again more silence... I looked back at Zoe who was staring at the clock, clearly trying to keep her eyes away from me.

"Zoe, we haven't heard from you yet. How do you think Great Britain felt?"

She looked up at me in surprise. I saw pain in those green eyes, but I also saw longing. Her mind was clearly working as she thought about what to say. As she took a breath to speak she locked her gaze with mine.

"I would imagine they felt hurt. They probably would have had a broken heart, knowing they had just lost loved ones. Knowing that they would have to fight back their feelings and battle their brethren, kill their brethren. In turn, killing themselves," she said, her eyes never leaving mine.

I stared back at her, dumbfounded. I could see the pain on her face and hear the agony in her words. I knew the meaning behind those words...

"Wow, that was deep," a boy in the front row said.

"Well said Miss Kelsey," I said to her just before the bell rang.

As the students made their way past my desk I asked her to stay behind. She refused to look me in the face. I shut the door and walked back to my desk, leaning up against the edge.

"Zo-"

"Don't, please..." she whispered.

I frowned.

"We can't just not talk about this," I said softly.

Her gaze shot up to mine.

"Why not? It's simple! We just have to stay away from each other."

I sighed.

"You're forgetting I'm you teacher and coa-"

"Ha! You think I'd actually forget that little fact," she snapped, clearly hurt.

"Why do you think I've been avoiding you like the plague?!"

I stared at her in astonishment. Zoe had tears running down her cheeks. She was shaking... I felt my heart break as I watched her start to fall apart.

"I'm leaving now. I'll see you at practice coa-"

I couldn't hold it back any longer... I grabbed her wrist as she turned to leave and I pulled her close to me. Our eyes met just before I softly pressed my lips to hers.