Chapter Twenty-Four

Unedited.

Sophie dropped the duffle bag she had, onto the floor of Rose's home, before collapsing onto the living couch, as she often did before. Which made Rose laugh.

Sophie pulled the grey pillow over her head, breathing in the homey smell. "What are you doing?" Rose asked as Biana, Linh, Edaline and Della followed her into the living room. "Trying to smother out my exhausting life." Sophie said through the pillow which came out garbled and unintelligible. "You do that. Ladies this way." Rose said. Sophie heard the retreating footsteps as Rose showed them around the house, and the guest rooms, where they would be staying.

"Hey." Sophie lifted the pillow and looked up at Alvar. "Hey." She said as she sat up. Alvar sat next to her, leaving a respectful space between them, but he wasn't at the end of the couch either. Sophie swallowed hard, as her mouth went dry. "Do you really think you dragged me into this?" He asked. Sophie hugged the pillow close. "Yeah. I mean didn't I?"

"No." Alvar shook his head. "Sophie I could leave any time I wanted. But even though...I'm figuring things out...like you, I won't abandon the people I care about. Not again." Alvar shook his head. "I won't let you...all, face this alone."

"Why?" Sophie asked. "Why? Why what?" Alvar asked. "Why? Fitz hasn't said a handful of words to you, Biana won't even look at you, Keefe hardly knows what to say and Dex..." Sophie sighed. "Dex he... He still remembers some things I don't." Sophie said. Alvar looked down, "Because, I know....I've done some pretty bad things, I don't remember them, but that doesn't change anything, I need to use every chance I have to try and make things right. I'm going to talk to my parents, and Biana....I hope she'll listen to my apology, if she doesn't have anything to say, and Fitz..." Alvar looked up at Sophie. His eyes looking like weak orbs of light, filled with pain. "I've accepted it." He said.

"Accepted what Alvar? Just what are you accepting? That you both are enemies? That you both dislike each other?" Sophie asked. Alvar smiled, "That we're rivals." He whispered just loud enough for her to hear. His eyes sparkling like he were up for a challenge that was never meant to be, but in the end he knew something that Sophie didn't. Like he had some secret he could win her over with. Sophie stared into those eyes, they looked like Fitz's, but she could tell the difference in a heartbeat. Alvar's eyes they were...there was something different about them, they were like stars caught at the edge of death, a dying light was in them, but Fitz's eyes, they were just the opposite.

Burning with life, with brightness that made Sophie's heart start hammering, they made butterflies in her stomach come to life, bursting from where they had died. It made her blood roar in her ears, like a waterfall. Fitz's eyes made her blush and made her smile....

It was Fitz that made her happy...

"Alright people! Meeting in the living room!" Kyle called as everyone walked in. Alvar sat back, Sophie hadn't realized he had been leaning forward. He smiled, and like a gentleman he gave her a bit more space. Sophie looked up as Kyle and the rest entered the living room. Fitz frowned at her and Alvar sitting close together, but the bright yellow flier Kyle held up caught everyone's attention. Kyle however was smiling widely at her. "I don't know how long you guys are going to be here...but I think you all need some normal." He said before turning his eyes away from Sophie, around the room. "So I purpose,..." Kyle unrolled the flier, Sophie groaned.

"That's right a competition, snowboarding and skiing, you can drop out any time you want, you'd just have to fill out the forms before hand, and if you all had to leave on sudden notice I could send them in. Anyone is welcome to join." Kyle said. "Snowboarding is more for the teens and the adults take on skiing, but every now and again there is a mix up." Kyle said. "Sef, I already signed you up." He winked. But the more Sophie though about it the more she liked the idea. It was normal...