Chapter Six

Unedited.

The atmosphere was smoky and filled wafting with perfume. As Sophie opened her eyes, she found herself laying on a soft mint green carpet.

"She wakes." Iver. Sophie thought menacingly at the cheerful voice, that hurt her head. Sophie raised her head, and found herself staring at a red velvet couch, with gold threading through the fabric, lacing onto flowers, leaves and other designs.

In a black suit with a white fedora tilted slightly, Iver smiled down at her. Next to him his brother sat in a white suit with a black fedora. Both looked like 1920's gangsters, with polished shoes, tailored clothes and neatly kept hair. "I was wondering when you would wake up Sophie." Iver smiled, what Sophie meant to do, was stand up, punch them both in the face and say 'shame on you!' What came out was a very embarrassing groan, and her flopping on the ground like a seal.

Beside her, Myth moved his nose into her shoulder, giving a quiet huff of encouragement. In Alaska the cold had numbed Sophie's pain, but in the warm air, every sense was alive and burning with pain. She moved her arm which felt as heavy as lead and wrapped it around Myth. "Don't worry you're pet will be with you at all times." Iver said. "H-e's  not a pet!" Sophie managed through gritted teeth. In her mind she heard Fitz transmitting, his voice sounded far away, but he was asking if she was okay.

Sophie was weaker then she thought she ever could have been. But she reached out, snagging the thread, she spoke to Iver. "What is going too happen to me?" She asked.

'Fitz...' She transmitted weakly. His transmission became stronger and louder.

'Sophie?! Are you okay? Where are you?'

"Well, as of right now, we are going to send you to an island where you can suffer through solitude confinement." Iver smiled widely. Sophie's eyes scanned over to the brother. He didn't quite meet her eyes, but instead seemed to stare at her eyebrow. "Why?" She asked, as her stomach churned as her mind felt like it was stretching to reach Fitz.

'Fitz...help...' She managed to transmit before letting out a breath she hadn't realized she had been holding in pain. "Why? Tsk tsk tsk...I thought I told you at the cabin." Iver said. "We, are going to make you become our weapon." Iver said. "Never." Sophie spat. "Tsk tsk tsk...you aren't very civil are you?" He asked. "Not to people who try to kill me." Sophie said pulling herself closer to Myth, as she tried to wrap her head around the pain and shove it out of her mind, and onto the head of the Neverseen.

But the pain was moving from one place to the next, to fast for Sophie's mind to catch up to. Fitz was trying to reach her, but the bond had been stretched to far apart. Iver threw his head back and laughed, "Yes, Yes, I suppose that all good and fair." Sophie let out loud breaths as she tried to hide her pain. "Nothing is good and fair about burning, killing, and fighting elves." Sophie growled. "Hhhmmm...I suppose -from your point a view- it is not fair." Iver agreed. "Of course, you are on the floor, writhing in pain, and I and my brother of course are up here, on the comfortable couch, staring: Down. At. You."

Iver's smile was to sweet, to be innocent and to perfect to be honest. "You have to admit Sophie." He said as he leaned back in his seats, his arms stretching out across the back he crossed one leg over, so his foot rested on his knee.

"Since this war started, you've always gotten the short end of the stick. You got Prentice, but he's mad and his mind is shattered. You got Keefe but what use is he? He's only playing a victim, he's acting like he isn't as bad as he really is. You got a catche which can't be opened, which ultimately leads to a dead end. You have Silveny and Greyfell, but let them go, again a dead end.

You got a vanisher, but what good is she? She isn't brave enough to go behind enemy lines to spy, you got a weak technopath, twins who would betray you if it meant saving the other, and then of course you got Fitz. I'll admit Fitz is one of the strongest of you all...but what good can he do? You two haven't finished your training, you can't reach him and yet he's to weak to reach you. What makes you so... So confident that you can win this?"