-Chapter Three

As I was finishing up in the bathroom, I heard James call my name.

“Yeah?”

“You ready to go yet?”

He asked as I was walking out. We were getting ready to go swimming. James wanted to go because hopefully Freddie would have calm down by now. But probably not, he seems like he has some anger issues.

“Yeah, let’s go.”

I turn around and James is giving me an intense stare. Umm, that’s not a stare. H-he’s checking me out.

“Wow dude, you look sexy, uh, I mean you look fit! Yeah I mean that in a non-homo way.”

I burst out into laughter.

“Dude don’t worry. I know you didn’t mean to.”

We walk out of the cabin and it’s pretty quiet and there is no one in sight.

“Hey James, where is everyone?”

“Probably in the game lounge, swimming, or something. You know we do have a couple days off. Come on lets go find some of me and Freddie’s old buddies.”

If they are anything like Freddie, I’ll pass. But of course I don’t have the balls to say it out loud. Speaking of balls, I look over out James and decide to study him. I wonder why James is gay. He doesn’t look like the gay type. If gay even has a look.  He has really blonde hair and deep sea blue eyes. They are beautiful. No Riley. Yeah of course they would be more beautiful if they were on a girl.

“Mr. Riley, are you checking me out?” James says while smirking at me.

“N-no! I was just wondering what you see in Freddie.”

“What I see in him? Um no I think you have it all wrong, Freddie isn’t my boyfriend, he is just a really good friend.”

For some odd reason excitement runs through me. I push it aside and keep walking. We walk into a building and now I know where everyone is at. I keep up behind James. He walks to a group of boys. And says hello. Everyone does there own response.

“Who’s your friend?” One of them says.

“This is Riley! He is cabin mates with me and Freddie. He is really nice. But don’t hit on him! He is completely straight!”

James says smiling at everyone.

“Wasn’t planning on it, bro.”

“Hey! Just because a few of you are straight doesn’t mean we are too.”

A few?! I’m officially dead. How can only a few people be straight? That’s it this is a gay camp! Why would my mom send me here? Does she want me to be gay when I come home or something? What is this camp even called? Faggots can finally play football?! I cross my arms, pissed at my own thoughts.

“Fred, we were just about to go swimming, want to join?” James asks Freddie with a hopeful look and a puppy dog face.

“Yeah sure, meet me at the lake.” Freddie leaves without another word. James starts dragging me out of the game lounge.

“I can’t believe he agreed! I thought he was going to say no.”

Me and James start walking towards the lake in silence. It’s not awkward silence, more like I don’t know what to say silence. I choose the worst conversation to start.

“Um, so James, what made you become gay?” I ask trying to avoid eye contact, scared that James might attempt to punch me in the face. But instead he starts laughing.