Chapter 4

*ringggggggg*

Alarm clocks or waking up early  were never my strong suit. I always hated it and never knew why. Even with my tough schedule as an actress, I still didn't get used to waking up early, much less being told to get up by a machine. 

I hope Milly turns off her alarm before it makes my head hurt even more.

*continues ringing* 

I love my granddaughter but if she doesn't put a stop to that ringing, so help me God. Don't make me get angry. Maybe I should get her attention.

"Milly... huh?"

I instinctively covered my mouth and my eyes opened to its full potential. Who's voice was that? I'm sure it wasn't mine. How could it be my voice if it sounded so fresh in the morning? So invigorating? 

So youthful? 

Maybe it's my mind playing some tricks on me again. The small party yesterday must have gotten me tired and a bit delusional and maybe the morning must have done something to my ear drums. Is this what they call alzheimer's disease? The one that makes you feel all crazy? I may be wrong but...

I got up from my bed because I couldn't stand her alarm clock any more. If I didn't love my granddaughter so much I would have smacked her for being annoying with that alarm clock.

I walked over to her room to finally put a stop to all the ruckus that has been going on. I was also getting ready to scold or just tell Milly off. 

When I entered the room the alarm clock was just sitting on her bed. I looked around but surprisingly Milly was nowhere to be found. I put the alarm clock out and it was already 9. By my guess, she and her mother needed to do something in their jobs. And my guess is that Milly put this alarm clock just for me. She would never let me sleep in until 9. 

I put her alarm clock back on the bedside table and was about to leave the room when ... 

"OH MY! WHO IS THIS!?" 

I looked in horror. A young version of me was looking back at the full body mirror Milly had in her room with the same expression. She was wearing what I was wearing when I slept, a long night gown with matching slippers. Her hair was a mess,like what mine would be since I just got up from bed.  

What kind of sorcery is this!? 

I rubbed my eyes to see if I was just hallucinating. Nothing happened. It was still  the same young girl in front of me. 

My clothes didn't fit me now that I have magically turned back to my young self, which I find ridiculous. Milly won't mind if I wear something in her wardrobe for a while. I found the dress that I gave her when she graduated from college and quickly put it on. It was a perfect fit on me. 

I hurried down and found a note which was probably left by Lisa. 

Going into town with Melanie. Be back later. Food on the counter. 

A note full of love. Well it's better that both of them don't see me now. They'll probably be as confused as I am right now. It feels weird walking around without the aid of my wheelchair. I don't even know how to feel having my vibrant brown hair back. It's been a long time since my senses have been this strong. I can't even believe that I'm seeing my face without wrinkles. 

"What should I do in the time being?" I pulled out a chair and started thinking. I should see how my garden is faring. Lisa's the one who takes care of it these days but I still want to make sure that my flowers are in tip top shape. 

It may seem weird to check my garden at this time of day but I have no idea what else to do. Outside I was suddenly greeted by Berry, Melanie's dog, he first looked at me weirdly but in the end let me through. I may have looked youthful but Berry could probably smell that its me. Dogs are amazing. 

I got the tools out of the shed and started working. From daisies, to roses and even my lilies, I tended to each one until I was satisfied. The sun was already at its highest point when I finished. I wiped off my sweat when I noticed something odd. A few of the kids from nearby houses started piling up near my fence. They were all looking at me, their eyes in awe. 

I looked around to see what got them captivated but I saw nothing in particular that would ignite a little kid's interest. I decided to ask one of them. 

"Uhm, excuse me little girl but may I ask what are you all looking at?" I asked the girl who had ribbons attached to her hair. Her eyes locked into mine and slowly pointed her finger. 

"You." She said. "We're looking at you miss. You're very pretty!" She smiled at me. The other kids nodded. They were looking at me?

"We're not kidding miss. You're super duper pretty. Prettier than those people I see in the T.V with my parents." One says. They agreed as well. 

"You're as pretty as Miss Melanie who visits this place." A young boy who is my neighbor's child pitches in.

"No, this Miss is prettier than Melanie! She looks like a doll!" 

These children all looking at me like I was some kind of rare painting. Am I really that pretty that even kids find me enchanting? Of course you are Elizabeth! You  were America's sweetheart ever since you started your career.

"What's your name Miss?" The girl with the ribbons asked me. Her pigtails bouncing a little when she approached me. I crouched down to their level, the fence in between all of us, and patted her on the head. 

"My name's Elizabeth but you can call me Lizzy."