Chapter 3

This chapter was written by Helen. Her account is the one in the dedication.

Kathy's Point Of View:

I can't believe what Melanie did, her and her bloody experiments... This time, her experiment turned Nick's hair green. Bright green! All I can say was thank God I didn't walk in. I was upstairs in my room packing my bag for work. I'm a photographer you see and today I have a wedding booked. I hate formal events because I have to dress up. I slipped on my lilac dress and matching heels and grabbed my bag before driving to the wedding reception. 

Mel and Nick were on my mind all day. We all share the same flat but we all live completely different lives. I was worried about Nick and his green hair, I've been there done that and got the t-shirt only mine was turned pink by Mel's experiment a few years back. I stepped out of my car and grabbed my equipment from the boot and I almost tripped over my heels. I swore before locking my car and heading to the venue. It was the same as all of the other weddings; an orange bride in a dress like a giant blamanche; a strop and tears. I rolled my eyes at this because they're always so over dramatic. I took the pictures I was hired to and left. I probably sound like a stroppy little cow, well that's because I've had a pretty rubbish week. Our bills are over-due. My boyfriend broke up with me (he's a git). My laptop broke and we're out of coffee! My week probably couldn't get any worse, and this is coming from an optimist!

After the wedding, I went to the bank and checked my account. Mum had put in money to buy food thankfully. As much as I love my siblings, it's like living with 4 year olds. Very smart 4 year olds. I figured out that until I got paid tomorrow, we'd just be able to pay off our bills. I paid off my bills and left the food money in because you can only take out so much per day. I came home and Mel was there attempting to clean up her earlier experiment. 

"Alright Mel?" I called.

"Nope, stupid mercury won't come off."

"How much detergent did you use?"

"Detergent?"

"That's why it's not coming off!" I explained, grabbing some bleach from under the sink. I mixed it with some water in the mop bucket and grabbed the mop. I lugged the bucket up to Mel's lab and helped her clean up the mess. It was soon cleared, we packed everything away and I headed up to my room. 

My room had white walls, they were coated in drawings of random things that I'd drawn straight onto the wall. I'd stuck some photos of my family- some were solo shots and some were family pics. I sighed, our parents went on holiday about a year ago and their passports were confiscated, they've been stuck there and the ritish embassy have refused to help, ignoring our protests. Bunch of stuck up prats.... Alongside the photos and drawings were canvases of mine from a few years ago. I sat on my white and turquoise bed and kicked off my hellish heels. I looked at the clock; it was about 4 o' clock. Nick would be back soon. I heard a door slam. Talk about 'speak of the devil and he shall appear' only Nick was awesome. I got dressed into a jumper, some skinny jeans and converse before leaping down the stairs ninja style. I saw Nick and chuckled at his hair. 

"HI NICK THE NUCLEAR NINJA!" I yelled. He muttered under his breath and flipped me the birdie. "Charmin', bloody charmin'!" I saw him look in the cupboard. "There's no coffee, I spent all my money paying off our bills." I sighed. "Go get Mel. I think I have enough points to buy us a subway and a coffee each." Nick ran to find Mel who had vanished. She came back and told me that she'd already been to subway with Matt. I had to mock her! It would've been a lost opportunity otherwise. "Awwh, have a nice time with your boyfriend Mel?"

"He. Is. Not. My. Boyfriend!" she spat.

"He is!"

"You're just jealous that you don't have one!" Melanie yelled. My eyes started stinging.

"Mel, that's not funny. That's just pretty sad." Nick defended me. Mel stormed upstairs. "Ignore her Kat. I'll come with you." Nick said, offering me a tissue. I took it and rubbed me eyes. "Actually, do you think you could do me a favour?"

"Yeah, what is it Nick?"

"I want to dye my hair black again."

"No! It looks awesome as neon green! It draws attention to you and it makes you stand out as a ninja, you survived the day at college didn't you?" I asked. Nick started smirking.

"I got Vanessa's number."

"See. Green hair's a good thing!"

"But your pink hair was epic!"

"But, I was still in compulsary education where we had a dress code of no dyed hair. They didn't believe about Mel, so I had to dye it. Anyway, are we going for food or what?" I asked, jumping up. Nick nodded and we left, heading towards Subway.