2.5 ▬ Adopting

2.5 – Adopting

IT WAS a spur of the moment when Louis suddenly took out his wallet and walked into a pet store when he was walking home after a day of work at the school. He had no intention of buying a cat or in this case, adopting a cat but when he saw that little grey fur ball through the shop’s window glass, he knew he just had to have it. Besides, he figured having a cat to take care of would ease his loneliness in the flat. But he had no idea how to take care of a cat.

When Louis was little, he remembered his mum brought a stray cat that had white and grey as its fur and it was the cutest little thing he had ever seen. His mum felt sorry for the animal so she brought it home, thinking it could be a family pet. But to no such luck, Louis’ little sister, Felicite was allergic to cats. She sneezed and started to have rashes after patting the little cat. So, they had to give Storm to someone else. He was little back then and all the he ever done to the cat was playing with it during his spare time while his mum took care of the cat; feeding and cleaning its’ mess.

So, Louis returned his path to the flat with a cat in his arm while the other held his briefcase and a plastic bag filled with the cat’s essentials. He thought he would stop by Norman’s Library to see if there was a book on how to take care of pets for dummies but he thought he should get back to the flat as soon as possible since the livid sky wasn’t giving him any chance to wander around for another few minutes before rain droplets started to trickle down his neck.

He entered the empty flat, dropped his briefcase and the plastic bag beside the door and placed the cat onto the floor. He let the cat wandered around its’ new home while he dived into his sofa and fishing out his telephone from his trousers’ pocket.

“Hey.” Louis greeted his best friend.

“Hi, what do you want?” Zayn grumbled from the other line.

Louis chuckled and shook his head, “Zaynie, Zaynie, Zaynie. Already asleep, huh? Sorry to bother you but I have some news to tell you.” He was once told by Zayn that he liked to spend his time after work gaining back the hours he had to sacrifice to get out of bed early in the morning.

“It better be great, Tommo.”

“I bought a cat. Well, I actually adopted one. I saw the cat through the glass window and it was looking at me so cutely so I had to take it.” The Doncaster lad poured out his story in one breath, “But the thing is, I’m not so sure what I should do with the pet. You can call me crazy, if you want.”

There was a silence from Zayn before he muttered, “You are crazy, Louis Tomlinson.”

“Thank you, Zayn. You always know what to say.” Louis replied sarcastically as he tried to hold back his laughter.

“Anything else?”

“Um, no.”

“Right then, don’t call me till 8. Good luck.” The line went dead and Louis knew Zayn was going to be dead for a few hours.

-

It was eight thirty in the evening when Louis lied on Harry’s bed and thinking back about his conversation with Zayn after he had admitted missing Harry’s presence. He remembered talking about how he hoped his flat mate would come back then Zayn proposed an idea that could bring Louis to a new lead to find him. But Louis didn’t have the heart to go through Harry’s things even though he was sure that there wasn’t anything Harry had left in his bedroom. Still, he felt it was wrong to look through Harry’s things.

“What shall I do now, Lightning?” Louis asked the cat that was cradled in his arms. Of course, the cat wouldn’t give him answers at least there was someone listening to him.

His phone suddenly vibrated beside him on the bed. He let go of Lightning to retrieve his phone and answer the call. It was Eleanor.

“Hello, babe. How was Paris?”

“Lovely, but I miss you. We should go there someday, don’t you think?”

Paris. Louis remembered the time he went there with his flat mate, Harry. It was amusing looking back at how Harry had persuaded him to take a day off from work just to accompany the curly-haired boy to the wonderful city.

“Louis, are you there?”

Immediately, Louis snapped out of his thoughts when he heard Eleanor’s voice. “Yeah, yeah, we should. Anyway, are we still on for that dinner tomorrow night?”

“Sorry, babe. I have plans with an old friend of mine who’s coming to visit me tomorrow. We’ll reschedule, okay?”

“Alright. Good night, El.”

“Goodnight, Lou. Love you.”

Once the call had ended, he turned to the cat that had been watching him during the call. “I’m truly alone, aren’t I, Lighning?”

The cat hopped off the bed and exited the room.

Louis let out a deep sigh before smiling weakly at the cat that turned to give Louis a look before it disappear into the corridor that led to the living room. It was still early for a good night sleep but he felt so comfortable in Harry’s bed that caused his eyelids to cover his sight and took him into a deep slumber.

-

unedited cos i'm a lazy asss. Yeah, Louis adopted a cat. I really think I don’t deserve any votes for this shitty chapter. I’m halfway done with the next chapter so I’ll post it tomorrow, if I can.

p.s. I’m having school holidays next week so I’m hoping I’ll finish this story during that time. 

Just tell me if this story is getting duller, okay. but it’ll get better in 2.7