Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Grady’s POV

I headed for the kitchen, since that’s where the noise was coming from. I stopped when I heard them talking about me. “Well what gives I thought you still felt something for him?” Evelyn was asking Lexy.

“I knew you made me sleep in the same room with him for a reason. I hate you and I will get you back for that. But I told you he told me flat out he didn’t want me and what he really thought of me so forget it.” Lexy said.

“Well honey I was younger but I would here the girls talking about how strong you came one to him.” Evelyn said.”

“Listen, you girls all grew up with parents. I had to father and ever since I was small. Uncle Diego was like a father to all of us. But you guys still had a father to go home to and I had no one. Mom did a wonderful job raising me. I love her to death. But I missed that love that you guys had with your fathers. I would always secretly dream of it.

I never told anyone about it because I always felt so bad that I wanted it and hated you guys sometimes. But out of everyone, it was Grady who was there for me growing up. He seemed to father every one of his brothers. Making sure they were ok and that they all behaved and kept on the straight and narrow.

Without even realizing it he did it for me too. He always treated me different than he treated you guys. He was there for me and would come over to the house and help mom when she needed the yard mowed and other things that a man would have done. Did you know that?” I heard her ask Evelyn.

“No I never knew that. I guess I was in my own world at the time.” Evelyn said.

“Well anyway. I fell in love with him then. Because mom would always talk about dad and all the things he would do around the house and what a good boy Grady was for coming to help. I just figured he was like my daddy was and that he would be for me what dad had been for mom.

Then I got the idea that maybe if I had sex with him he would want me and see me as a woman. I know stupid. I was a stupid young girl. But what do you expect from me. All I wanted was a father figure I guess. Most of the reason I don’t want to talk to him is because I feel stupid. I was so stupid throwing myself at him.

He reminds me of that, so it’s better to try to forget. That humiliation he put me through. But I do feel sorry for him. Because the game still feels like it’s more important to him than life.” Lexy said.

“Well then why don’t you date?” Evelyn asked her and I got closer to make sure I heard.

“IF he taught me one thing it was that this stupid girl should take his lead and concentrate on work and nothing else. I don’t need a man. I grew up just fine after I got over my missing my dad. I am just fine now without a man. Work gives me all the satisfaction I need.” She said and I felt like such an asshole.

All she needed from me was company and a little love and attention. I started thinking back and remembered all the talks we had about her father and how he had died in the armed forces so she really had no memory of him.  She was always sad when we had a picnic and the girls would be with their fathers. I remember I would take her for walks. Damn how the hell did I forget that?