Track

• Dedicerad till My Track Team

My heart was jumping up and down like it was a trampoline. Bounce Bounce Bounce. It was my first track meet of the season. "I need you guys to listen there are one hundred of you and basically two of me" our track coach or one of our track coaches said while trying to get our team to listen. "We had many people late, the whole team is going to pay for that by running ten laps somewhere on Monday" she said getting a little angry. Remember not to bother her during the track meets, yesterday she said not to bother her and nobody was trying to bother her it just well happened. She quickly reviewed the rules. Yesterday she spent a half an hour explaining what we were going to do and how we were going to do it. "Go check if the bus is here" she said to two eighth graders and they ran outside. "I want the unlimiteds and the eighty-fives on one bus and the ninety-fives and one-oh-fives on the next bus." she told us. "Only one of the buses are here" the eighth graders said already back from searching outside. "Okay Unlimiteds and eight-fives this way!" she said walking and pointing to the door. "Are you nervous?" I asked my friend bEARTHa and an eighth grader named Penny. "Yeah I'm really nervous even though this is my third first meet of the season" Penny said. "I'm really nervous too" bEARTHa said. "Sit with me?" I asked her and she nodded. "Ninety-fives and one-oh-fives this way!" Our coach said as the second bus came and the first one left. We got on the bus and the bus driver told us to buckle our seat belts. "Do you have butterfly's?" Beartha asked me. "Well I do now" "Oh I always did" she told me "Think about something you like, Ummmm like teen wolf" I said to her. "Okay" "Tell me about teen wolf so I can help you get rid of your butterflies because mine are gone" I said.

About fifteen or twenty minutes later we arrived at SOTA, school of the arts, they had a new track and we made our way down to the bleachers where the rest of our team was. "Put your backpacks down" our coach told us. "Then go warm up and practice" she continued and I got my spikes on and walked on my heels to the track where I could walk normally again. I was surprised. I thought the heels were going to make it harder to run in by actually it made it easier to run. I didn't even feel the spikes, now I know why they were so expensive. "Come on!" I said to my friend Abigal who was on my relay team. "Coming" she said. She walked down with Hannah and Sienna. A seventh grader and an eighth grader both on our relay team. We were relay A, "Get the baton Sienna" Hannah said and Sienna made her way back up the stairs to get a baton from the coach. "Ready?" Abigal asked. "Yeah" I replied. This was like our first time doing the relay because yesterday when we were practicing Sienna had to go to soccer so we didn't get to practice with our anchor. I took a deep breath and we practiced handing off the baton and receiving it. "When you say go you need to shout it" Sienna said. "Yah, Abigal SHOUT go" I told her, Abigal had a quiet voice so people liked to tease her about talking loud in public. "Scream go" Hannah told me. "GO!!!" I shouted. "Okay that's good" Sienna said. "Abigal try" I said. "Go!" she said 'loudly'. "Louder!" I said. "GO!!!!" she said. "Ehhh, that's fine" I shrugged and we laughed. "CL come stretch!" one of our teammates shouted from the other side of the track. "Okay!" we shouted back and started walking like the rest of our team.

After we stretched we got ready for the relay. My heart was punding and I was nervous and excited at the same time. I wasn't nervous about losing I was nervous about getting disqualified. You got disqualified if you stepped out of your lane, if you blocked the other runners somehow, if you dropped the baton and if you couldn't pass the baton when you were out of the arrows.There were many ways to get disqualified.

When it was our turn to race I stepped in the lane. Since I was the first one I had the baton in my hand and waited for the starter to fire the air bullet. "Ready Set" 'BAM!' he shot the bullet and we were off. I ran to Hannah and passed it to her and she raced to Abogal and gave the baton to her. She passed it to Sienna and Sienna finished the race by crossing the finish line. We came in second but we were still good. "Nice!" we high fived and walked tithe stands. "400s on the field" our coach said and Abigal and Sienna left us and went to the field.

My event was the 200 which was two blocks. 400 was four blocks. 100 was one. We made our way to halfway through the track because the 200 was half the track. All the 200s sat on the bleachers on the other side if the track. "Are you nervous?" I asked Harper an eighth grader who was doing the 200. "A little" she said. I smiled and turned to the girl from Everett sitting next to me. "Hi! Are you nervous?" I asked her "Yes! Is this your first time running?" she asked. "Yeah! I'm in sixth grade! And you are In?" "Sixth too" she said smiling. After we were called and were sitting on the track waiting for our turn to run I remembered that I didn't ask her name. "I'm Lian" I said and we shook hands "I'm Felicia" she said. "95s! Your up" the starter said and I took a deep breath.

"Ready! Set!" 'BAM!' the starter shoot tue bullet and we were off. When I ran my mind was blank. Well almost. I was thinking at first. 'Am I supposed to sprint the whole way?' and I figured that out I sprinted the whole way. I could see a girl in front of me so I just ran harder. "Go Lian!" I heard my classmates calling from where the 100s were running. "When we were about to cross the finish line I sped up and passed it before anyone else. I pretended the finish line was a little more in front of the actual finish line. Which probably was the reason why I was first. The other girl started slowing down and I sped up.

"Good Job!" Abigal told me and we high fived. "Nice" said some eighth graders as I high fived Abigal. "Thanks!" I said and I high fives them to. "We have to go Lian, auction" my mom called. "K! Let me say Good Luck to my friends first" I said and race to where the 100s were. "Good Luck!" I said to them. "Good Job Lian!" they said and I raced back to my mom. "Was it fun?" she asked. "Yes!!!!!!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Hiiiiiiiii!

So we actually ran a track meet on 3/14 and it was really fun. If your on track just don't worry about winning and all that. So don't look side to side. It SLOWS YOU DOWN. Just try to beat your personal best as my coaches tell our team.

~ANJILLINA