23. Descendants of the Sun (2016)

Descendants of the Sun

Country: South Korea

Type: Drama

Genre: Action, Comedy, Medical, Melodrama, Military, Romance

Episodes: 16

Aired: Feb 24, 2016 to Apr 14, 2016

Network: KBS2

Duration: 60 min.

Plot:

Yoo Shi Jin (Song Joong Ki), the captain of the Korean army special force, meets Dr. Kang Mo Yeon (Song Hye Kyo) when he and his comrade, Dae Young (Jin Goo), injured a thief. Shi Jin and Mo Yeon begin to date, but due to their jobs, their dates don't go well and they break up. Shi Jin then takes an order to lead his soldiers on a peacekeeping mission to the fictional war zone country of Urk. Eight months later, Mo Yeon rebuffs the sexual advances of hospital chairman Suk Won and as retribution is assigned to lead a medical team in Urk. There, Shi Jin and Mo Yeon meet again.

Cast:

Song Joong Ki

Song Joong Ki

Yoo Shi Jin

Song Hye Kyo

Song Hye Kyo

Kang Mo Yeon

Jin Goo

Seo Dae Young

Kim Ji Won

Yoon Myung Joo

Review:

by MiraiArtx of mydramalist

"Yes, I did rate this a 10, but let me explain. If you look at my other reviews, I'm not usually this generous so I do have my reasons for giving this one such high scores in every category. 

The story itself actually had a nice, steady pace. From my drama watching experience (and I have watched quite a lot), the show usually gets draggy around episode 10 to 14. This was NOT the case. From the very beginning it was so action packed and fast paced I wondered how the writers were going to keep this interesting for another 15 episodes. They proved me wrong though, and every episode felt like 3. The story itself, granted they did have the advantage of a unique setting, does not use the same plot devices as other dramas. It was just a perfect mix of humor, suspense, romance, and action. Those are very different genres but they managed to do it really well. There didn't seem to be a central storyline, but instead it was quite episodic which would usually turn me off. The drama, however, had such a good flow that I didn't even notice, and although the conflicts are episodic the romance and relationships between the characters were developed consistently.

The cast did so wonderfully. Not only were the main actors amazing, every actor breathed life into the supporting characters. They were not just there to support the leads. Each one of them actually had their own distinct personalities and characters that added so much substance to the show. The chemistry between the leads and the second leads was one of the best I've seen. Because of the setting and the dire situations they're put in, you can clearly see the development of the characters. And as a side note, though some of Song Joong Ki's lines may come off as cheesy as hell, he pulled it off so well I almost didn't even notice how cheesy they really were. In fact, they just added to his character.

The music is just so so so good. Usually I only find one or maybe two good songs per OST, but right now I have the entire OST on replay on my phone. It's that good.

That said, I would definitely definitely rewatch it. Normally I would have a couple critiques on my reviews, but honestly I couldn't have asked for a better show. Sure, the show has become really mainstream and may come off as overhyped, but that doesn't mean it loses it's value. If you're hesitant about trying it, don't be. Of my 140+ dramas, it's climbed to number 3. You won't regret it!

Now I'm just going to go into my little corner of post show depression."

My Note: Is there a need for me to recommend this drama? I actually started this compilation because of my friends who kept on asking me which dramas to watch after this. This is probably their gateway to KDramas. Personally, I think the plot isn't that phenomenal. It tries to run over all genres as it goes farther from reality. I still like it, though. The actors, cinematography, OSTs and the unrealistic yet enjoyable plot still worked for me, so I gave it a 10, but no, it's not one of my favorites.

Reviewer's Rating: 10.0

My Rating: 10.0

Mydramalist Rating: 8.8

Asianwiki Rating: 9.2

You can comment your own rating and justify why you gave that rating if you want :)

Click the external link to be redirected to the website where you can watch this drama. For mobile users, the link can also be found down below in the comments section.