Chapter 13: Bolder

Carlo's POV

Iniwan ko ang kapatid ko na kumakain. She really is a grown up now for trying to understand our family's situation. I heard all about her and Nathan during lunch, but she denied it. I don't like that guy. I don't like any guy courting her now. Marami pa siyang kailangang pagtuunan ng pansin.

I don't know why she's lying to me but I have to trust her. I just don't trust that guy. I'm just not in the position to confront him right now because if I do, Zoey's cover will be ruined. I hope that Nathan guy is decent. My sister is smart, funny and has a bad temper, which I find cute but she often makes bad decisions when it comes to relationships. She grew up rarely seeing us because of our family business and I know this greatly affected her. She tends to find comfort in relationships with other people and tends to expect the same level of love, comfort and attention from them. That's why when someone betrays her, it hits her hundreds times.

I thought she changed but seeing her with Nathan means she's still the same as before. This happened before with Vince. Siya ang unang boyfriend niya, akala ko seryoso si Vince sa kanya parati niyang hinahatid sa bahay ang sweet pa nga nila eh. Pero isang araw, umuwi si Zoey ng umiiyak at halos hindi na makausap. Kinwento niya sa akin na may nakita siyang kahalikan ni Vince sa mall, tapos nung kinausap niya, umamin siya na niloloko lang niya si Zoey.

Imagine when someone cheated on you, you'll feel worthless and you'll overthink everything and suddenly everyone seemed to be capable of breaking your trust. Hindi ko 'to sineryoso noon kasi bata pa siya, puppy love lang 'yon, 'pag nag-mature na siya, wala nalang sakanya 'to.

I never thought that her actions meant a lot deeper than just puppy love. In a young age, she found comfort and love from people aside from her family. Yes, we call her constantly but we rarely said sorry when we're not with her during her birthdays. I grew up with the full attention of my Mom and Dad since they were not as busy. Almost 14 years ang age gap namin ni Zoey, nagkamalay na ako sa kung anong klaseng buhay ang meron kami, kapapanganak niya palang.

She was born almost the time na nagbloom ang family business, that's why most of the time she's alone. Sinama siya ni Mom and Dad sa Korea para may kasama siya pero most of the time mag-isa lang siya kaya mas mabuti na umuwi nalang siya ng Pilipinas atleast may mga kamag-anak kami doon.

Before she became a beautiful girl that she is now, she's that awkward child with crooked teeth and braces, curly hair and large glasses. She was bullied for her physical appearance but when you're in grade school, those don't matter. When she went to Korea, that's when she opted to get things fixed. Lumabas 'yung confidence niya, nag-try siyang mag model.

She met Vince in Korea, since international school 'yon, hindi lang siya ang Filipino or from other countries. And from there, a lot of things changed about her. She gained more confidence, she became more bold, she bloomed. But after the betrayal and all the hardships she went through just because she's a Filipino negatively affected her.

Malakas si Zoey pero nag-aalala ako na baka defense mechanism niya lang 'to. Hindi pa siya nago-open up ng thoughts niya but I know how anxious she is right now. That's why I have to wait for her, I have to trust her and silently guide her.

Zoey's POV

"Our next destination is the strawberry field, half an hour road trip from here. Please fall in line in front of your buses.", utos ni Ms. Sanchez.

"Ma'am! Pwede bang hindi nalang ka-partner 'yung katabi?", tanong ni Nathan.

"Ok lang." sagot ni Ms. Sanchez.

"Uy! Dani dun ka kay Reg oh, umalis na si Carol katabi na ni Rick." sabi ni Nathan. Hindi ko nalang siya pinansin at umupo na siya sa tabi ko. Ang bango niya, naligo nanaman ng pabango. Nagk-kwento si Nathan ng tungkol sa mga nakita niyang Igorot habang papunta kami sa hotel.