Chapter 18

(Aiden's pov)

"He's doing fine" I replied. Watching as Deucalion circled me, his blind eyes reading me like an open book "and the girl?" He asked again, being one of the many questions I'd be asked tonight. "She's oblivious to our plan" I called back, turning in his direction for a more direct conversation "but the boy. He's not the one we're looking for, is he?"

The question hit me like a moving train. Not only did I want to keep my mouth shut for Ethan's sake, but I also had to answer his questions honestly. "No, the girl is" I lied, keeping my heart rate to a safe state "good. You and your brother always impress me" he replied, signaling for me to leave the office.

With one last nod, I strutted out into the living area. Huffing with regret as Kali's horrifying smirk turned the corner "that was pretty brave. Lying for your brothers secret romance" she scoffed, catching me by surprise with her hatred words "he's finally happy for once, I ain't going to let it end this time" I scoffed back, pushing aside her as Ethan walked into the apartment "hey, what's going on. Why are they here?" He asked, confusion raising high on his tired face as Kali plopped down on the couch behind us "Deuc needed info" I whispered, catching onto his breath as it stopped with a chock "did you......" He stopped, knowing I'd cut him off anyways "no. No Eth you're good" I reassured him, patting his shoulder gently to calm him "I can't do this Aid" he chocked out, allowing fear and worry to raise up in his voice "hey, hey your fine. He has no clue ok" I called, pushing us deeper into my room as Deucalion's voice started to get louder "but Danny. Do they know about Danny?" He asked.

For some odd reason I knew this question would pop up. We both knew it was Danny who was the target, not Lydia "no! I lied and told him it was Lydia" I responded, holding my tongue right as Kali opened my door "you two need to shh if you want to keep this secret. He's been occupied for the last couple minutes but that doesn't mean he isn't listening" she whispered, her warning striking deep within the both of us "she's right. We better just keep our mouths shut" Ethan added to her call, breaking away from us as he plopped down on the extra mattress in my room "you two better head off to sleep. Deuc will leave once he hears your hearts steady out" she called, nodding at the two of us before exiting.

Neither of us spoke after that. To frightened that we'd say something and lead Deucalion to think it wasn't Lydia. Ethan I could tell was having a very ruff time with this and made me swear to take sleeping shifts to make sure we wouldn't talk in our sleep, but how could I sleep.

My mind kept flipping back pages of our past. All of which consisted of me holding Ethan threw the nights he'd have to break up with the boys he loved. Deucalion would always find out about them and wouldn't give Ethan even a second to explain.

"You still awake?" I heard Ethan whisper from the spare bed beside me "yea" I called back, shifting on my back to face him in the darkness "do you think he left?" He asked, signaling for me to use my ears to find out "yea, he's gone" I replied. Only hearing mine and Ethan's heart beats echo through the empty apartment. "Night Aiden" Ethan whispered, giving me a small smile before laying himself gently back on the mattress "night" I replied, laying myself down as well.

"Please don't let him find out" I heard Ethan whisper in the night, obviously not knowing I was listening "he won't" I said in my mind. Closing my eyes gently as I allowed sleep to take me.