Five • The Ambush

The day after, all the genin-ranked ninjas were called out for an important announcement, and all the teams were rounded up together while Aburame Shino or 'Shino-sensei', in their words, stared at them from the small wooden platform. Seeing his friends' children deeply made him reminisce of Konoha 11 during the early days.

Beside Shino stood the other teachers and instructors - Konohamaru, Moegi, Udon, and many more. While the children murmured within themselves in confusion as to why they were called out, Nara Shikamaru suddenly came out and went to the same platform; his feet making contact with the wood that made it creak, gaining the young ones' attention.

"Oh, it's your dad," Inojin turned to Shikadai who had his hands inside his pockets, a lazy expression on his face.

"Cool, at least Shikadai's dad has some time for us kids unlike someone I know," Boruto folded his arms as he scowled.

"You sound like a little girl, stop it, Boruto."

"Mitsuki!"

"Why are we even here? I didn't even get to bring snacks."

"Chocho, I'm sure this will be over in a while."

"I'm hoping, Sarada."

As Shikamaru finally got in the center of the platform, he shot a brief glance to the children before speaking. "Is everyone here?" He asked, and saw the kids nodding. "Then I'll get to it already. A few days ago, we announced that the Chunin exams are near. Today, we are finally announcing the exact date - and this is final. The Chunin exams will be held next week, exactly on a Monday morning."

The other genins rejoiced in joy and excitement while others trembled in worry. Sarada, however, simply felt dismayed. Monday next week? Today is a Sunday, which means Sasuke would be leaving by the end of the week and he wouldn't be able to see her in the exams.

Shikamaru continued to speak about the other details, but Sarada's mind floated elsewhere. She felt disappointed by the turn of events; she wants Sasuke to be with her, but unlike her past self, she's not that selfish girl anymore. She understands that he's being sent into an important mission and he's doing it for the entire village and for his family. Still, there's sadness in her heart that envelopes her.

"Alright!" Sarada almost jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned and saw Boruto, grinning at her widely. "You better train hard, Sarada, or else you'll stay a genin forever!"

Sarada stared at her for a few seconds before a smile tugged on her lips. "You might be the one staying a genin forever."

"Ha!" The blonde shook his head. "Nope, I'll kick both you and Mitsuki's ass!"

"Boruto, we're teammates in the first trial, though-"

"Shut up, Mitsuki!"

The two started to bicker and Sarada slowly felt her heart getting lighter.

. . .

"Papa, can we train today?"

Sasuke glanced briefly to Sarada before returning his eyes on the pathway out of the hospital. "I assume it's for the exams."

"Yeah," she nodding. "Did Shikamaru-san tell you?"

"We got informed too, with the rest of your classmates' parents."

Sarada nodded for the second time as they got out of the hospital. It was currently lunch time and Sakura had her break, so they ate out. Although Sakura said that she can return to work alone, Sasuke insisted to walk her so Sarada cheekily tagged along.