Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Alex’s POV

Alex knew she’d chosen an immature manner to make Billy come to her senses, but she did not regret it. She would have, if it had all been in vain, but she didn’t because for some strange reason, rather than tear them apart, it had brought them closer together.

Her face still hurt from the punches Billy had delivered, but she had provoked them readily accepting the consequences. Her lower lip still had a cut, but the swelling had gone down.

Blood was thicker than water and Billy may not have been bound to her family by blood but she was certainly one of them and Alex had needed to make her realize that.

Her feelings for Jesse were still alive and thriving, though she was doing her best to stop them from growing. She knew Billy was fighting them too, even though they didn’t talk about it.

Max had apologized for not telling Alex that she’d been aware of what had been happening between Billy and Jesse and Alex had forgiven her. She didn’t see any reason to stay mad at people for things they had been unable to control.

She was happy to see how well Max was doing with Joss. It must have been her one successful relationship and Alex was proud of her. Usually, Max couldn’t keep her hands off women but Joss must have given her something that no other woman could. It was pleasant to see her content.

On a Friday night, she was surprised to hear from Jesse, who called to ask if they could talk. She made it clear that she wanted to talk to both her and Billy at the same time and Alex thought that was fair.

They met at a restaurant at around nine in the evening. Since it was a workday, they all made their way there separately. Alex and Billy arrived first. Alex was a little tense but she could see Billy was too.

Jesse arrived a few minutes later and apologized for being late. She looked at the both of them, at first speechlessly, then she started talking, apologizing for the pain she had caused and the damage she’d done to their friendship.

Both Alex and Billy stayed quiet.

After profusely apologizing for everything, it came to the hard part. Jesse looked at both of them and softly said, “I love you both, equally. It’s not my choice, but it is the truth. I love you. But it’s not fair. I should have made this choice from the moment I realized I was falling for both of you but you made me feel so good, that I couldn’t bring myself to and for that I am so sorry.”

This was the point where she made a choice, the point where she got to pick who she wanted, Alex thought in both excitement and fear.

“It would be extremely selfish of me to make a choice between you two, so I have decided that no matter how much it pains me to do this, I have to let the both of you go.”

Alex could tell she was being sincere because there were tears in her eyes as she spoke. There was a selfish part of her that had wished Jesse would pick her, but she was pleased with the outcome.

“I can’t hurt you more than I already have,” Jesse said.

Alex looked at Billy, seeing the same sadness in her eyes. She recalled what Billy had once said; if she met someone she had a lot of passion for, someone she desired and loved, then maybe she would consider settling down. Maybe Jesse was that someone for her. She’d hurt so much and for so long that she deserved a happy ending.

Jesse finished her emotional speech, said goodbye and walked out of the restaurant. Alex looked at Billy and decided to express what was in her heart and at the same time she spoke, so did Billy,

“I think you should go after her,” they both said. It was a little unusual that they should both say the same thing, right at them same time.

“What?” Alex asked.

“She loves you.”

“She loves you too.”

“You love her.”

“So do you.”

Billy exhaled, then said, “You two belong together.”

“Weirdly enough, I think you two belong together too,” Alex said. She wasn’t playing a game. She genuinely felt it and if Billy felt the same thing too then maybe Jesse had made the right decision. Choosing no one was a smart choice, but was it the right one?

They both laughed and then looked through the window as Jesse drove her car out of parking. It wasn’t like she was leaving town, they both knew where she lived. Only time would tell what would happen. Until then, their friendship was what they had and it would continue to be important for a very long time.

As for Jesse, well…,

END  

What do you think about the ending...