Chapter 4

Billy’s POV

“I need to get you out of here,” Billy said.

“What about Alex and Max?” Jesse asked.

“They’ll be fine. Alex’s got it under control.”

“Are you okay? You’re bleeding.”

Billy ran her finger over her cheekbone and pulled it back to see the blood. The adrenaline pumping in her veins kept her from feeling the painful effect it was supposed to deliver, but she knew she’d wake up with a very nasty headache.

“I’m okay,” she said. 

She needed to get back to the bar, so she told Jesse to drive back home in her Lexus, while Billy followed her there in her own car just to make sure she got home safe. 

The fight had come out of nowhere. Someone must have invited that guy to the party without explaining what kind of party it was. When he had gotten a little drunk, he’d started insulting everyone in the bar and being Max’s birthday, she’d felt she needed to take care of the situation.

She’d kindly explained it was a special day and if the guy had a problem, he could leave, but he had made some homophobic remark that had insulted Max. Before long, Max had been beating the crap out of the poor fellow.

In a matter of seconds, the fight had been taken outside and in an attempt to stop Max from hurting the guy, Billy had gotten in the way and the guy had punched her in the face instead, piercing her cheekbone with his ring. That was what had gotten Max so angry.

For a moment there, Billy had thought she’d beat the guy to death. Their attempts to stop the fight had been fruitless and the crowd surrounding them had done nothing to help. Both men and women had stood back to watch a woman beat a man who was almost twice her size. He should have known better than to mess with Max.

Billy noticed Jesse’s car had made a stop and looked around to find out her location. The gate to the estate opened and Jesse slowly drove in. Billy followed, noticing the area looked familiar. After entering the gate, she followed Jesse’s Lexus a few blocks down and stopped when Jesse drove into parking.

The small town of Rangers practically had no apartments. Most houses were self-contained, sharing a large compound and a driveway in and out of the estate. The good thing about it was that there was security and the rent was not quite so high.

“Let me walk you in,” Billy said when she walked over to Jesse.

“Okay,” Jesse said.

Billy followed her to the entrance and waited for her to unlock the door. Once she did, she walked in and Billy was ready to leave. 

“I’ll tell Alex you got home safe,” she said.

“Wait, why don’t you let me take a look at that cut on your face?” Jesse said.

Billy hesitated. 

“Would you rather walk around with a bloody face? That cut looks really deep. You don’t want it to get infected.” 

After a moment of consideration, she walked in after Jesse. Her house was a beautiful sight of interior mastery. She had a couple of paintings and pieces of art nicely displayed, a cozy couch taking up most of the space in the living area with a glass table in the middle and other tasteful décor.

“Nice place,” Billy said.

“Thanks,” Jesse said.

Billy watched her disappear into a room and went to make herself comfortable. There was a stack of magazines on interior design on a table right next to the chair, which made her wonder if that was what Jesse did for a living. It would certainly explain why her house looked so damn attractive.