Chapter 6

What did you think of that love scene? Was it too much? Or just enough? Let me know so that I can moderate the rest which are bound to follow.

*

***

*

Billy POV

“What the hell happened to you last night? I thought you’d come back to the bar,” Alex said.

“I was too tired and I knew you’d take care of the situation,” Billy said the following morning.

She’d just walked into the coffee shop where she usually ran into most of her friends for breakfast, when Alex spotted her. 

“You’re still dressed the same way, where did you spend the night?” 

Billy knew Alex could always tell when she was lying so she decided to go with a different version of the truth. “I spent the night on Jesse’s couch. She insisted on treating my wound, I guess I must have fallen asleep after.”

Alex studied her and Billy thought she’d see beyond that, and was glad when she said, “Looks better than it did last night. She must have known what she was doing. Are you feeling better?” 

Billy nodded, not sure she could quite explain how she felt. She was in no form of physical pain, but with the things going on within her, the pain would have been much more appreciated.

“How is Jesse? Was she too freaked out by last night? Do you think she’ll want to see me again?” Alex asked.

Billy sipped on her hot cup of coffee. She had no idea how to answer that last question. She doubted Jesse would ever want to see her again. 

After their unbelievably passionate night of love-making, she’d sneaked out early the following morning like a coward, in an attempt to avoid facing Jesse and talking about what had happened between them. 

“She was a little freaked out, but she’s fine,” she said.

“I think I blew it. After what happened with Max, I doubt she’ll want to see or talk to me again,” Alex said.

Billy doubted that would be the reason, but she nodded because the guilt was killing her. 

“Did you get her number? I want to apologize to her for last night. I honestly didn’t see that coming.” 

Neither had Billy, she’d been totally unprepared for everything that had taken place that night. “No, I didn’t, but I have her address.”

“Okay, that will do.” 

In an attempt to change the topic, Billy asked, “What happened after I left?” 

“The fight stopped and Kim and I took the guy to the hospital. We left Max trying to salvage what was left of the party.”

“Is he going to press any charges?”

“No, after we took him to the hospital, he actually apologized. The over consumption of alcohol must have brought out the homophobe in him. He said he deserved it, that he had no problems with girls who liked girls and that he had not intended to cause any trouble.”

“A case of a closeted homosexual, perhaps?”

“Sounded a lot like it,” Alex said. “Anyway, what did you think of Jesse? Isn’t she awesome? Stunning too, right?”

“She certainly is,” Billy said.

“Did she say anything about me?”

Billy tightly closed her hand around her coffee cup. “I don’t really know. I was a little drunk and with the pain radiating from my face, we didn’t have much to say so I guess I passed out on her couch.”

“Didn’t you talk this morning when you woke up?”

She’d gotten up and left almost immediately. If dressing had not been such a task, she’d have run out like a thief. “Not really, I was really tired.” At least that part was true.

“Guess I’ll just have to find out on my own,” Alex said.

Billy almost stopped her, but she did not want to appear suspicious. She doubted Jesse would share what had happened between them with Alex. She didn’t seem like the type to kiss and tell. Or maybe it was a good idea to just come out and share what had happened before Alex got emotionally invested in the relationship and came to find out later on. Billy knew Alex and she doubted she’d ever forgive her.

This was the first woman she’d liked in months. It was something special for her. But if Billy told her, Alex would get so pissed off at her. 

“I’ll go by her place later on,” Alex said.

Billy smiled, not supporting the idea but going with it anyway because there was nothing she could do. Why hadn’t she just walked out when she’d had the chance? Why had she even gone in the house in the first place? 

After the fight, she’d not even looked at Jesse like that until Jesse had started cleaning her wound with her soft hands. Oh, those soft hands. And her lips had been so swollen from their kisses. Her body had felt like a part of Billy’s own layer of flesh and when she’d tasted her, when she’d gone inside her…

“Are you okay?” Alex asked.

Billy took a deep breath, relaxing the follicles of hair on her skin that had risen from the memory. 

“Your cheeks are a little flustered,” Alex said.

“It must be the cold,” Billy said. Her hands were on a hot cup of coffee and her body was unusually hot, why couldn’t she just think of another thing to say instead? “Oh, look who is here.”

Kim, Max and a couple of more girls walked in. They approached their table and Billy was glad for the interruption. After they all said their hellos, they sat down and sent for their orders. 

Kim sat next to Billy and said, “Oh, poor baby, how do you feel? Are you in pain? It looks a little bit swollen.”

“Thanks for taking one for the team. I wish I’d been able to prevent it though. It looks better than I thought it would,” Max said.

“Don’t worry about it. In fact, I should go get it cleaned up and bandaged. Leaving the wound open like this could get it infected,” she said.

The last thing she needed were people fussing over her. Kim had an annoying manner of doing so. Billy did not know how many times she needed to break up with the woman. She had asked for space because she had not been ready to make a commitment and Kim was still treating her as if they were still together.

“Do you want me to take you to the hospital?” Kim asked. 

“No, I’m fine. I have to drop by work immediately after.” She got up before Kim could insist and bid everyone goodbye.

“I’ll call you later.”

She heard Alex say as she walked out of the coffee shop. She resented lying to Alex but what could she do? Even if she’d been offered a million bucks to take back what had happened, no matter how much it had freaked her out, she would not have accepted to do so.