Chapter 8

Billy’s POV

Billy didn’t notice the knock on her door until the unknown guest decided to knock unusually loud, startling her out of her thoughts. Again, her thoughts had drifted off to the night she’d spent with Jesse. She couldn’t stop thinking about it.

Every sound, every taste, every touch and every second of their night together had been a scene out of a fantasy. Every time she thought about it, remembered it, shockwaves traveled through her skin, making her hair rise, leaving her breathless.

“I thought you’d never open the door,” Kim said.

“What are you doing here?” Billy asked. She didn’t care if she sounded rude, she just wasn’t in the mood for company and lately Kim was getting more and more on her nerves.

“I came to check up on you. You’ve kind of gone AWOL on all of us,” Kim said.

“I’ve been busy,” Billy said.

Kim started moving around the sitting room, taking the clothes Billy had carelessly tossed on the seats and putting them in a laundry basket. She picked up the plates on the table and took them to the dish washer and then took the vacuum cleaner and started running it over the carpet.

Billy watched her in irritation. She could clean up her own mess. She did not need Kim to do it for her. “Could you please stop that,” Billy said.

“What?” Kim asked.

“Cleaning up my house. I am more than capable of doing it myself.”

Kim stopped for a second and then resumed. “How’s your wound?” she asked as though she’d not heard Billy.

Billy exhaled in impatience and decided to ignore her. “It’s fine,” she said.

After going to have it checked, a band aid had been placed on the wound. The swelling had gone down and the pain had subsided. She’d not seen her friends in a couple of days so she figured that was why Kim was there.

“Are you going to come to the party?” Kim asked.

“What party?” Billy asked.

“On Friday, a few of us are going to Jade’s and Lana’s beach house. I thought Alex had told you since she’s going to be there with that new girl she met,” Kim said.

“What new girl?”

“You know, the girl you guys came with to Max’s birthday party? Alex’s really into her.”

Billy felt her heart tighten in her chest. So Jesse and Alex had started dating. It was barely a week since they had met. Alex must have been really into Jesse if she was inviting her to spend time with her friends.

“I don’t know if I’ll be able to make it,” she said.

“Why not? It’s not like you’re doing anything,” Kim said.

If she went to the party, it would be so awkward to be around Alex and Jesse, the circumstance would create an impossible situation. She’d just stay at home and try and get some work done.

“Did you get to know her?” Kim asked.

“Who?”

“Alex’s girl, what’s her name?”

Billy silently groaned. Kim was multitasking the cleaning and kept walking in and out of the room to get the chores done. Again, Billy did not understand why she bothered herself with it.

“Her name is Jesse and no, I did not get the chance to get to know her,” Billy said.

“But you took her home,” Kim said, momentarily stopping to look at Billy.