Chapter 11

Thank you to one that helped me write this chapter. <3 Sorry about the delay, I got caught up in UIL things. There is a slight trigger warning, I think. I don't know. I'm not very good at tagging any sort of trigger because I don't have any. Please let me know if anything needs to be tagged better.

_Jason's POV_

"When did you become so close to Alexander DelMar?"

Watching Devon almost choke and spit out the drink she had been about to swallow almost confirmed my suspicions. Not that it should matter, but from a teacher and guardian standpoint, I was worried. Alexander was one of the kids that enjoyed causing chaos. His appearance was enough to send the softer teachers running. He just had that rough and raggedy look about him.

As someone that genuinely cared about the young girl in front of me, it could be considered jealousy. But why would I be jealous? Oh yeah. Because Alexander had the chance to be with her in a way I could never be.

What the hell, Jason?! This is a student. Get your shit straight. I mentally kicked myself and looked at Devon who had finally recovered from her momentary choking. She looked honestly startled and for a moment, I felt bad for doing that to her.

"He is... a friend." Devon avoided looking at me and I knew that there was something going on more than that. Something she was not telling me.

"A friend? Come on, Devon." I leaned in towards her just a little bit. "What is going on?"

The air between us was silent and tense for a good five minutes as she avoided my eyes and pushed food around her plate. It was not really until then that I noticed she had yet to eat anything.

"He helped me, okay? Is it so bad that I might have made an actual friend?" By the end of the question, she was standing and her voice had risen a little. Devon still refused to look at me, but as I looked over her beaten form, I finally noticed that something was wrong.

Pushing away from the table and standing up, I walk slowly to Devon's side. For a moment, she shrinks away from me. Times like this showed me how extensively her father had harmed her, both physically and mentally. I put my hands up to show that I mean her no harm and she comes back to my side, still not meeting my eyes. "Give me your hand."

For a moment, Devon hesitated. I could see it in the way that she tensed up and how she sighed in defeat as she held out her hand to me. If I was in the right frame of mind, I would have noticed the crude bandage over her hand. The length of my sweater on her as also one of the reasons why I had neglected to noticed it before now. "What happened?"

"Nothing." It was sharp and piercing as she pulled her injured hand from my grasp and walked away. I watched her for a moment before abandoning our dinner and following her into the living room. She did not seem to realize I was right behind her. There had been a chance that she did not trust me completely. There would come a time when she didn't want me to know what was going on, but so soon?

Up the stairs she went and up the stairs I followed. "Devon. Come on. Talk to me. What happened to your hand?" At this point, she was sitting on the edge of the bed and I was next to her.

"I told you that nothing happened, Jason. Why do you not believe me?" Devon looked like she was ready to burst into tears. For a moment, I was startled but I did not want to show her that. Turning from me, she held her injured hand in her lap.

"Did someone do this to you? If Alexander touched you-"

_Devon's POV_

"Damn it, Jason! Not everyone is out to hurt me." I kind of exploded on Jason. It was not that I was mad at him, I was just kind of annoyed with how the day had started and how weird he was acting. "It was that bitch Leela. She pushed my books off the table first period and stepped on my hand in her stupid heels. Zander helped me with my stuff and offered to be my lab partner. He then offered to eat lunch with me and walk me to classes." Taking a deep breath, I steadied myself and noted the shocked expression on Jason's face.