Chapter o6

“Dakota?”

Looking up from the sink, Dakota saw Harry standing against the fridge. She smiled at him and returned to washing dished from the ‘dinner’ that Amelia and Harry had tried making. They ended up just ordering pizza, which Harry took care of before Dakota could try. Glancing at him again, she mimicked, “Harry?” Apparently, that was funny, since Harry chuckled. Her smile got bigger. She liked his laugh, it was contagious, and comforting.

He walked to her other side and grabbed the dish rag, and started drying the wet dishes. For once, Dakota let him do it. She kind of liked the help. As she handed him a plate, he sighed and began explaining, “So, I know that you probably don’t believe me, or care, but I’m kind of… I guess famous. And I’m not trying to boast, or sound conceited or anything! It’s just, paparazzi seem to have the most fun chasing me around, and sometimes-“

Harry stopped as Dakota started laughing hysterically. He wasn’t sure at what, at him, or his words, but this was the first time he had heard her laugh, actually laugh, and it was music to him. Her laugh was so care-free, like it was the only part of her that had nothing to ever worry about. So, even though he was confused, he grinned and watched her. She was really beautiful, even if she didn’t know it, she was.

Physically, not to mention her personality and the amazing strength she exhibited. Her hair was so long, almost white blond, and it set off her eyes. They were so interesting and unique, not a normal color, they were an incredible silver-gray that seemed to swirl and come alive, to show the youth she wanted to have, but also the maturity and wisdom she had acquired in her short life. And her tattoos were perfect for her, simply her and her alone. They showed a small bit of her life and how she had been able to express it artistically. They showed that she could take whatever you threw at her and come out victoriously.

Dakota finally managed to compose herself and admitted, through stray laughter, “I know, a friend of mine recognized your name. So, be very proud of yourself, you have a fan who usually only listens to rock, and my friend Atti even like you. That is saying something.”

Harry wasn’t sure to be scared or relieved. Her friends could mention it to the wrong person, or mob him, or both. Dakota must have read his mind, because she patted his shoulder and told him, “Don’t worry, the only people they gossip to are each other, and it’s only Danni and Atti. And, unless you magically get a million tattoos, dye your hair, and pierce yourself, they aren’t the mobbing type. Besides, your taller, you’re fine.”

She was so relaxed, as if she had no stress, for now at least. And Harry loved it. Dakota was addicting, her laugh, her voice, her personality, everything about her drew him to her. Stepping closer, Harry moved his hand to her cheek again, and she didn’t move away, she just stared back at him. He was ecstatic she didn’t move away, that had to be a good thing. His thumb brushed over her cheek and he leant closer.

As his lips pressed against hers, he felt her tense up, but relax and respond, kissing him back. It wasn’t some passionate, intense thing, it was a simple kiss. He pulled away and they just watched each other, both trying to figure the other out. Dakota was the first to do something; she smiled, and that made him grin. Harry pulled her into a hug, and murmured, “I like you Dakota.”

Dakota let herself be hugged and hug back. She hadn’t felt this way… ever. For once, she felt that things weren’t going to come crashing down on her, that she was safe.

Maybe she shouldn’t have thought that, because a cracking came from over head, and they looked to see a split in the ceiling. The two moved out of the kitchenette slowly, and the instant they stepped out of range, something crashed and soon the ceiling that had been over their heads a moment ago crashed down, a bathtub falling through and water spraying everywhere from the broken piping.

Dakota shrieked and tried to stop the water pouring on her, but it was impossible. Harry coughed from the sudden introduction of debris and water, also attempting to shield himself, but he finally yelled over the sound of yelling from the hole in the ceiling and the pipe spewing water loudly, “I’ll get Amelia, get anything completely irreplaceable, before it gets ruined!”

#

Harry helped Amelia dry off with a towel that the EMT’s had provided. Apparently, three other apartments had the same phenomena due to the building not being up to code, and some people hadn’t been as luck as Harry and Dakota to get out of the way. A few minutes after emergency personel had gotten everyone evacuated and people had started giving officers their statements, a loud rumble, almost like thunder, had come from the building, and the ground shook. Firemen had gone in, only to return moments later, relaying that more floors had collapsed.

He looked over and saw Dakota with one of the city officials, taking a small account of what had happened, and what had been lost. Thankfully, Harry had been quick enough to react, and the only thing that Dakota and Amelia had lost were clothes, the toys and books from Harry, an old television that only played old VHS tapes, and two towels.

Amelia sneezed, and he picked her up, wrapped in the towel, moving them over to her mother. Dakota nodded and took the card the official handed her before he moved to the next resident. Looking at her daughter and a man she who she truly fancied, she sighed, “Well, it’s gone. All they can do is hold the building owner accountable for any damages or lost property.” Pushing wet hair away from her face, she grabbed all of it and wrung it out, trying to get a bit drier. Looking at Harry, she thanked him, “If you hadn’t reacted, Amelia’s birth certificate would have been lost, all the legal papers and such, all of it. I can’t imagine what everyone else will do, but thank you Harry.”

Harry shrugged and told her, “I’m just glad you and Amelia are alright. Come on.”

He started walking away and Dakota trailed after him, grabbing the plastic folder she had kept all the papers she needed in, and asked him as she caught up, “Harry where are we going?”

Using his free arm to wrap around her shoulders, he pulled her close, trying to protect her bare arms from the cold night and just told her, “Mine and Louis’ flat. I already called, him and Natalia are waiting with dry clothes.”

To cold to argue with that, she let him lead her to his car, put Amelia in a car seat that he must have gotten himself, as she didn’t own one, and got in the passenger side. As he started the car, she suddenly asked, “Who’s Natalia?”