Chapter o2

Dakota rushed into the daycare, knowing she was late. The fear of it being locked with her daughter inside vanished as she opened the door, and smiled at Elloise, who looked none too pleased to still be there, but just jammed her thumb in the direction of the main room. Apologizing profusely, she quickly hurried into the room, but froze.

Amelia was playing with toys, with a man. He looked familiar, but not enough so for Dakota to place him. Her daughter paused and looked to see her mother. Instantly, Amelia grabbed the strange man’s hand and pulled him over, smiling brightly at her mom and saying proudly, “This Harry, Mummy.”

He was incredibly handsome, she had to give him that. But he held his hand out, and Dakota shook it lightly, introducing herself, “I’m Dakota. Thank you for watching her. Say bye to Harry, Amelia, I’m sure he has to go home.”

And that killed her, as Amelia’s face dropped. Dakota gulped, trying her best not to cry as her daughter looked like she might. But this bloke came to her rescue, speaking up, “Actually, I’ve got time.” He crouched down to be more of Amelia’s height and suggested, “Why don’t you go get the picture you made, princess.” Just like that, her daughter brightened up and nodded vigorously before running off towards the table that kids colored on.

Harry straightened up, giving Dakota a half smile. As he rubbed the back of his neck, he spoke up, “I should probably explain myself.” When the girl’s mother didn’t stop him, Harry continued, “See, a couple of my mates and I came to visit Elloise earlier. And I came and sat with Amelia, since she was alone. I haven’t been able to leave her alone, because I don’t want to. She is probably the sweetest child to ever be, and if you let me, I’d like to continue to play with her.”

Dakota was watching this man, and was confused. He was talking about Amelia as if she were a precious gift… to him. Gulping, she didn’t know how to respond. After years of receiving mean looks and hateful words, she wasn’t used to someone showing interest, positive interest, in her daughter. People always ignored the eighteen year old mother because, well, she was a single mother who struggled to support herself and her daughter, not to mention her appearance. A side of her head was shaved, where the scar from a surgery was visible, tattoos around her neck, upper arms, and chest. No one cared that the scar and shaved half a head was from a tumor, and no one cared that the tattoos were to cover the evidence of her past life. But, no one knew who her daughter’s father was either, and that was something Dakota wouldn’t tell anyone without complete and utter faith in them. It would make things worse if too many people knew the truth.

Amelia ran back over and held up a piece of paper, and Dakota crouched to see it, smiling. Her daughter rarely did anything other than look at picture books. It was the cutest thing, what appeared to be her and Amelia and… Harry?

Picking up the two year old, she was about to say something when Elloise came in and told them angrily, “I need to get home.”

#

Dakota slumped onto the bench in the park. Upon Harry’s insistence, he had taken them too McDonalds, where he had paid without second thought, then they had gone to a toy store. And Dakota could only watch as her daughter pulled out picture finding books and toys, knowing she would have to tell her daughter they couldn’t afford it. But once more, Harry hadn’t given it a second thought, and purchased everything. Even when Dakota insisted to try and give him money, Harry had refused, telling her it was nothing and to stop worrying.

She watched her daughter play in the sand of the playground with a new plastic bucket and shovel, two things Dakota never thought she would see her daughter own. Dakota was in a daze at how much kindness had been shown, wondering what the catch was, and if it would hurt her daughter. That she couldn’t take, her daughter being hurt from some kindness.

Harry sat next to Dakota and spoke up, “Thank you.” Dakota looked over at him as if he had turned purple and grown a third arm with a tail. He was thanking her?

“I should be the one saying thank you. You barely know Amelia, let alone me, and you paid for food, toys, and now taking her to the park. Everything that I wish I could do for my daughter eventually, you did for her in less than four hours. So, thank you, for absolutely everything.” It was a sad smile on her face, but a grateful one. A miracle had occurred today, and it was something that, with her luck, would probably have repercussions. What she was about to ask was incredibly rude, and could possibly make him leave which would break Amelia’s heart, but she had to ask, “What do you want?”

It was his turn to look at her as if she were some strange creature, but that was a look she was very used to with her appearance. She was shocked she hadn’t seen it earlier from him. But her silver eyes didn’t leave him, determined to know what she had to do to protect Amelia. He turned away from her and looked over at her daughter, which Dakota copied, propping her elbow on her knee and her chin in her palm. If she had a camera, she would have taken a picture of Amelia. Finally, he answered her, “To get to know you, and Amelia. If you’ll let me, that is.”

Dakota’s mind was reeling. This man, this stranger, he wanted something that no one had ever considered. Staring at him, studying him, she sat up again and lent back on the bench, before choosing her words carefully, “You didn’t need to buy anything to do that. Amelia adores you, and that’s good enough for me to let you stick around.”

-A/N: Dakota clothing in external link