Chapter 10

• Dedicated to The cats of the world

Bernard's POV

Once Marie had left I let go of the soldier, he looked at me sceptically and glared.

"What was that all about?!" He yells, stepping closer to me. His nostrils flared and his face turned red with anger.

I've done it now. I exposed myself. He can tell I was defending her, it was obvious.

"I.. Well" I pause and think of an excuse.

"She's mine," I say, looking up at the soldier nervously. If I sound aggressive, he'll leave her alone.

"Captain holt said I could use her, she's mine," I say with more authority.

He looks at me and grins, his head lowered but his eyes remain on me. He looked as if he were a bull watching a matador, debating if he wanting to charge.

"Fine" he finally shot out.

He opens the door but right before he was about to leave, he says "it better not be anything else, because it would only take a minute out of my day to report you"

With that, he left.

I walk towards my office and open the door slowly. Marie was lying with her head on her pillow sobbing. My heart ached to see her in such physical and emotional pain.

How can I help her? I know how to help her wounds heal. But I can't take away the pain that the Nazis have inflicted on her. I can't stop Captain Holt from harassing her. What can I do?

"Marie, I-I'm here" I stutter and walk slowly towards the broken girl in front of me.

"Oh, Bernard... I-I thought you were hurt!" She ran towards me with tears of joy and her smile that I've grown to love.

She embraces me with a tight hug. Her small frame attempting to hold me.

"It's okay love, I'm here. You're safe" she pulls away from my chest and frowns

"I don't care about me, I care about you" she looks deep into my eyes and smiles

"As long as you're safe, I feel better" she adds

Really? Did she feel this way about me? I-I'm so happy. More than happy. I'm ecstatic!

I grab her now and bring her into an even tighter hug. I brush her soft hair with my hand, twirling some of the strands between my fingers.

"Don't worry about me, I'm fine" I assure her, pulling away from the warm and comforting hug.

"Marie, I forgot. I have a meeting today in Holts office. I can't stay" her face drops. It crushes me to see her so disappointed. The one thing I can do for her is comfort her. But it seems like everything I want to be able to do, Is being prevented.

"It's um ok, I'll stay here and read a book" she says, with too much enthusiasm laced in her voice.

"I'm so sorry" I apologize again and kiss her on the forehead

And with that, I left her alone, again.

But I'll be back soon. She has nothing to worry about. I hope anyways.
----------------
Marie's POV

Why is it that when Mr. Angle leaves I can't do anything? At least give me a task, anything to keep me occupied.

I guess I could try and find something to do, outside the office I mean.
I know you're thinking "stupid girl, why would you go out again?" Well I love adventure and no one will catch me, I'll just go find a new book.

I look in the mirror at my appearance and brush my hair with a comb I found. I put my hair up with a few bobby pins, nothing special.

There was really nothing I could do about my clothes, except wear the dress Captain Holt gave me. I could wear my shorts and shirt that I had on now, but they smelt and made me itch uncontrollably. And God knows why...

I slip into the very short purple dress once again. I feel relief from the itching sensation and let out a long sigh.

Taking one final look at my reflection, I open the door to the office and check to make sure no one is in the hall.

The coast is clear.

I run down the hall and slip into an empty room, where I see a cat? She was an orange tabby with beautiful eyes.

She meows at me and rubs up against my hand

"When I find that cat, ill kill it!" Someone yells stomping by the small room I was hiding in.

I sigh and look at the cat.

"Now why would anyone want to kill you?" I ask her playfully and pick her up. Checking to be sure, I see obvious signs that she is, in fact, a female. Looking at her I notice she's still young, probably only two. I smile at the innocent animal and rub her ears. Although she's just a cat, I feel she was meant to find me. In all the chaos of this storm, a light peeks through.

Checking once more for anyone, I cautiously run back to the office with my new feline friend.

Closing the door and locking it, I look at the cat. She jumps out of my arms and sits perfectly in front of me. She needs a name. I pause and think of a suitable one.
-
-
-
"Roxy" I finally name her. I bend down and rub her under her chin.

She meows and jumps up on my bed, making her self comfortable and curling up into a ball

What a cutie!
--------------
Marie's POV

For a few hours I played with Roxy and read her a book, I'm becoming crazier by the minute!

"Marie?" Bernard knocks on the door

"Coming!" I get up and unlock the door for him

Bernard smiles then his eyes travel to the cat

"Now where did you get that?" He asks, cocking an eyebrow

"That's Roxy, I found her" I explain, pointing to her

He chuckles and walks into the room, I close the door behind him and lean against the door

Bernard sits beside the sleeping cat, he examines her then suddenly exclaims;

"Wait a minute, Anthony has been looking for this cat for days! It keeps peeing in his room" I giggle and look at Roxy, smart cat.

"It's okay baby girl, he won't find you here" I reassure the non-fathomed cat and pet her on the head. I lay down on the other side of Roxy and look up at Bernard. He's just staring at me with a small smile, his eyes travel down to my lips then back to my eyes. He begins to lean in, causing me to immediately shut my eyes.

But for some reason, he stops. He opens his mouth slightly, almost to speak but backs away. Instead of questioning him I lay my head down on a pillow.

It was only 3 so I could still take a nap before I had to leave. I especially needed this rest.
---------------
Update!! Hope you enjoy!
Oh, and I know how rare female orange cats are that's why I did it. Lol
Vote, comment whateva!