Chapter 6

Marie's POV

Waking up, I groggily observe the room I now call home, it seems so much smaller than it did yesterday. I'm not sure why, though. Perhaps I'm feeling better, or maybe worse...

My eyes continue to travel weakly around the room and land on Bernard. He's fast asleep, snoring like an old man and hunched over in the small office chair. I giggle, which makes his eyes jolt open. He stretches and lets out a large sigh.

"Hmm, Marie." He says with a tired smile and with an intoxicating raspy voice.

"Morning" I lean forward, forgetting my obvious restrictions and swing my legs out of bed. I try to stand up but stumble immediately to the floor. With a painful reminder of my injuries, my breath is taken from me like a ton of bricks hitting my chest. I grab my abdomen from the pain, sneaking out a quiet whine.

"Marie!" Bernard rushes to my side and reaches for my arms, I pull them away in embarrassment. I could help myself.

"I'm fine" I pull myself up, grunting and straining just trying to hold on to the side of the bed. I leave him shocked and kneeling on the floor. He presses his lips together in disappointment

"No, Marie you're not. Stop trying to push me away. I want to help you" his eyes looking up at me with pity and sadness. He truly wanted to help me, and I think I want him to.

But, it's in my nature to push people away, that's all I have ever done when I get close to anyone. Especially someone who is forbidden to even speak to me, let alone let him get close to me and sympathize with me.

"Bernard, I-I" I stutter, his disappointed expression was hard to ignore. He stared right at me, even though I was trying to look away. He was so sweet, what did I do to deserve such kindness? What makes him so infatuated with me?

"Please help me" I plead, giving in to his persuasive and pleading eyes. I return my gaze to his, now fully able to admire his sneaking smile. Why should I stop him? I ask myself as he stands up, now peering over my small frame. Maybe because it's too dangerous. My subconscious adds. Or maybe you're afraid. It adds again.

"Of course" he takes my hand in his and helps me stand, I let out an exhausted breath. I sluggishly cling to Bernard's arm as we walk over to a small cabinet. He starts to retrieve my day clothes and help me change.

He removes my shirt, trying not to stare. The cool air hits my bruise and breasts sending a slight shock through my body. He quickly pulls my new shirt over my head, releasing trapped air from his lungs nervously. He seemed nervous

"What's wrong?" I ask ignorantly, assuming he was already dreading his decision to care for me.

"You're just... Umm, very pretty" a smile creeps across his lips, but quickly return to a concentrated and emotionless line.

Wow, he thinks I'm pretty? I grin, reaching down for my pants. I immediately regret the jerking movement and cringe.

"Here, I got it" he shakily pulls down my pants, I lift each leg up slowly trying to prolong his closeness. He slips the new ones up past my thighs, his large hands becoming shaky as they brush over my upper thighs and hips.

He gulps and clears his throat trying to avoid our eyes locking again. His nervousness was extremely.... cute.

"Are you blushing?" I ask, teasing him and lightening up the mood. I place my hand on his cheek, causing him to look up and bring his eyes to mine.

"Umm, no... I uh" he stutters, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. His eyes blink rapidly, looking around the room for something to stare at. He glances back up at me and guides me back to the small bed, sitting me down.

"I'll, um.. get you some breakfast" his feet completely turn around towards the door, he trudges out of the room with his head slightly bowed. Once he leaves I start to giggle, a small grin creeping over my lips at the thought of his nervousness.

-------------

Bernard returns a few moments later with soup and a large portion of bread in hand. I assume he had to sneak some of it in. The pieces of bread they gave the other woman were much smaller.

"Thank you" he slowly hands me the soup and bread, being cautious of me

I practically grab the food from his grip and begin to scarf back the bread. I was extremely hungry for some reason. Bernard curiously watches me and cocks his head slightly.

"Hungry?" He asks with a small chuckle

"Very" I spit out, trying not to choke on my food. As I quickly finish off the bread and set my soup bowl on the small table beside my bed

"I have A surprise" Bernard smiles and holds a finger up to tell me to wait a second, he leaves the room and I wait excitedly for the 'surprise'

He comes back with a... Small bathtub.

He places it on the ground and pours hot water into it.

"I know how much you probably want to take a bath" he smiles

I run and hug him tightly, squealing. I was so happy. I haven't had a bath in so long. It seems odd to be excited about something as simple as a bath.

"I'll clean your clothes so you have something clean to wear," I thought I was going to cry from his amazing generosity

"I don't know what to say" I searched for an answer in my head but all I could do was smile, but not just a regular smile; a smile that said a thousand words. Bernard knew just from my eyes that I was thankful. Not just for the bath, but for him being in my life.

Bernard placed a towel beside the bath and helped me undress. He took my clothes from me and helped me step into the bath. It was warm and so relaxing. I wish others like me could feel the same amount of comfort

"I'll be back in a bit" he smiles and closes the door behind him

I let out a sigh and slid deeper into the nice warm tub.

------

A knock at the door startles me, it must be Bernard.

"Come in," I say sweetly

The door creaks open and.. Captain holt walks in

He smirks and stares down at me

"Well, well. Comfortable are you?" He asks and walks closer to me making me cover up immediately

"Not at the moment" I huff, a loud groan comes from his throat

He lunges at me and pulls me out of the sudsy water by my wrists. I was now uncovered. He looks at me up and down and smiles

"You are a very attractive girl Margaret" he speaks slowly sending a shiver up my spine, he is disgusting

"Th-thank you" I give a fake smile

"I could kill you right now if I wanted to," he says as if it were an accomplishment. He has a devilish grin plastered on his face.

I gulp and look away from him

He laughs and throws his head back, then places a hand on my back and slowly slides it down to my bottom

"But that would be a waste wouldn't it?" He whispers into my ear. He grabs my face and places a sloppy kiss on my lips.

Taking my towel he smiles and calls two other men to come retrieve the tub. Leaving me standing in the cold

I guess I'll have to wait until Bernard comes back.

--------

Thanks for reading! Vote and comment!